Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '89 Mercury Sable, I noticed that it recently developed a terrible shudder from the front left wheel. Upon closer inspection, it turns out that the lower caliper locating pin was overtightened, causing it to strip the metal inside the hole of the spindle (thanks Brake-O). I have since placed a call to Brake-O where they informed me that this is not covered under warranty, so I need to know what the best way to fix this is. I was wondering if perhaps I could drill the caliper bracket hole out and use a heli-coil. If so, could someone please tell me where I could obtain a heli-coil locally? I am open to any ideas as I am on a very tight time frame this week. And just in case you wondering why I took the car to Brake-blow and didn't do them myself, it was because I was only in town for one day and I didn't have time to fix them before heading up the road...big mistake.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Most farm supply and auto parts stores stock heli-coil. I am not sure that this is the best solution, might be able to pick up a replacement part at a salvage yard for not much more than the heli-coil kit (they are expensive for what they are IMO).

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. A quick call to the district manager of Brake-O settled the issue. They are going to fix it.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Hmmm...I think I would just ask for compensation. If they screwed up a simple brake job, can't imagine what they'll do replacing a spindle. I just bought a car that was reported to have had new brakes installed the day we drove it away. I noticed some sqeaking and when I pulled the front wheels found that they had only replaced the pass. side. The drivers side was almost worn to the rivits. Idiots. I'd be tempted to ask for a couple hundred from Brake-O and do it myself if I were you and had the time. Good luck either way and glad they at least realized what the right thing to do was. ;)

·
Administrator
19,354 Posts
This is VERY common on 86-95 Taurus/Sables. The usual fix is just to get a used "steering knuckle" from the junkyard.
IIRC 86-91 all work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts