Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I screwed up, big time it seems. I was assembling my new gas-powered power washer, which has a 4-stroke Briggs & Stratton engine. I was in a hurry to get it set up and tested (that was the first mistake). Anyway, I removed a cap that had a warning tag around it reminding me to fill the engine with oil before starting, so I started to pour some oil in. I hadn't poured too much when I realized the tag was attached to the gas tank cap, not the oil fill cap. I drained out what oil I could and filled the tank with gas, figuring that the worst case would be that the engine would smoke until the oil-gas mix burned off.

However, the engine will not start. It's a pull start and I simply cannot get it to start, regardless of choke or throttle setting. So, the question is how big a problem do I have here? What can you guys recommend to help me get this thing started before I pull the rope right off the engine.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I don't think pouring oil into the gas tank would be the problem. Have a beer then double check everything you did puitting it together. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
did you remember to put the oil in it?
It most likely has a low oil sensor that will not let it start if the oil is low.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Drain the carburetor of the oil. You most likely are trying to start the engine on oil instead of gas...

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I did put the oil in, including what I drained back out of the gas tank. It's not quite up to the full mark, but it's not so low that it should trigger a sensor.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
get a can of starter spray and start and run the engine on it for 30 seconds and i'de bet the gas situation will straghten itself out.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Talk about wanting some massive compression!!!!

fill fel tank with fuel and fill oil to normal levels and keep trying to start.......starting fluid should help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts