Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
19,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really shaking right now. Tuesday morning I have a dentist appointment, the first since my surgery. With an artificial hip, you have to take a dose of antibiotics an hour before seeing a dentist to avoid any problems of infection. The doctor's office called in a prescription for me and I picked it up this afternoon. I was rather dismayed to see that I would have to take a megadose of the stuff--four 500 mg pills. I had a funny feeling, too, about the drug so I looked it up in a pill book my mother had. I am severely allergic to penicillin, and this is a derivative of it. So, I just called the pharmacy and they said absolutely do not take it and they're going to have a little talk with the doctor's assistant on Monday. The allergy is clearly marked on my charts. Since I'm here alone for the next week, if I had taken the pills, it's not likely I would have been making any more Trouble posts here.

Just a lesson, always check when you get new meds.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Whew, that's scarey!
Your insight paid off, that's a good thing!
;)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wow, that's scary! I'm violently allergic to Penicillin. When having my appendix removed they gave me some derivative as well, and I broke out in the hives and couldn't breathe. Had I not been in the hospital at the time, it may have been all over for me.

I would appreciate a post or a PM with the name of the stuff so I now what else to watch for.

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Administrator
19,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My allergy developed the second time I was given penicillin for pneumonia when I was six years old. I had the same reaction, anaphylatic shock.

The drug I was given today is called Amoxicillin. The frightening thing is the normal dose (according to The Pill Book) is 250 mg and I was supposed to take 2,000 mg! I wouldn't have had a chance with that much in my system.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Laurie
This Pre-Med also applies to those with certain Heart Conditions. One that I know for certain is Mitrol Regurgitation (sorry for the possible spelling errors there.)

I was diagnosed with Mitrol Regurgitation when I was 31. I was told to take the anti-biotics prior to any mouth-works.

I was not told what it was, or what the implications could be. I walked on eggshells for 2 years wondering if I was going see tomorrow each night because a Doc was too busy to explain it to me. And I was too scared to look it up.

Went back for my 2 year checkup. New doc (same Office) used a 3-D test, not a 2-D. Too many False Positives with a 2-D. I was one of those False Positives. I asked how the previous doc could have diagnosed me and her only reply was "You don't see his name on the Door anymore do you? There's a reason for that".

Moral: Make sure your Doc explains everything to you. If I had known that I had been diagnosed with a common HEART MURMUR I would have lived those 2 years differently. Fortunately I'm back on track and lighting up both tires now.

SprintCC

·
Registered
201 Posts
You need to SERIOUSLY consult an attorney , if whoever[ your Doctor ] wrote that prescription KNEW of your allergies and as a professional, worse yet a so called DOCTOR ???? they should have KNOWN your allergic, and further had it in a chart.

People like this NEED TO LOSE THEIR license to practice medicine !!!! sounds like you almost came very close to dying due to some stupid a$$ doctors negligence !!

I am no Doctor but that sounds like a hell of a dose to me, maybe he screwed up twice 1) the dose being way to high 2)giving penicillin derivitive to you [ I would think anything ending in -cillin IS a derivitive ? and highly toxic to YOU]

You could at LEAST get a FORD GT40 out of this, if not 20 or so of them lol...

GET AN ATTORNEY, don't LET some nut play around with your life....and get a new Doctor too.

Glad your ok... do NOT sweep this under the rug, NAIL THAT GUY ooops I mean that NUT!!!

ps I would have titled this
"O/T Close Call With A Doctor Doofus "
or better
"O/T Close Call With A Doctor Dumba$$ "

You were NOT the doofus...the "Doctor" playing doctor was.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Glad you've dodged that bullet! As already mentioned, the doctor's office definitely is the Doofus. This is a good reminder to us all to question those who are perceived to be in authority - they are human, after all.

Regards,

Dean T

·
Administrator
19,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought about it for a few minutes, but I'm not going to pursue it. The doctor didn't prescribe the drug, his assistant did. The dose is correct, but the type isn't. The pharmacist is going to be chewing some tail when she calls about it, that's good enough for me. I believe in personal responsibility and that's why I always check any new drugs that are prescribed for me. It's always better to be safe than sorry. It's even better to be informed.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey Laurie, sorry to hear about that. I have to do the same thing before I have dental work done because of my artifical hips and knee also. As far as sueing that doctor it would be a waste of time. You might remember after my hip replacement surgery in 2002 I had a lot of problems. After about a year without my surgion finding out what was wrong he referred me to another surgion. When he opened me up I had a lot of infection in the hip. Too make a long story short after 2 more surgeries it is finally OK. I went and talked to a lawyer about the first doctor not dianosing my problem. The lawyer said it would be hard to get a settlement out of the first doctor because I didn't have any kind of permenent injury. I told him about $4000.00 out of the pocket was kind of permenent to me. Just thought I would let you know what happened when I talked to a lawyer. Take care.

·
Premium Member
19,252 Posts
Your surgery was nearly a year ago. Why aren't you seeing a dentist for cleaning every six months, like you're supposed to? ::

Good for you to be checking on your medications. I am also very allergic to Penicillin, but have never had it prescribed to me after determining the allergy when I was 9 years old.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Glad to hear you dodged that bullet Laurie. You know, Amoxicillin is nasty stuff if you can't handle it. I took it 6 years ago for the first time, and have had ulcerative colitis ever since. In my reading, I found that one of the most common things that sets it off is antibiotics like that. My doctor couldn't have known so it's not his fault, but still, I will always be careful with what I take after that incident.

Glad to hear you're ok!

·
Administrator
19,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not everyone needs to see a dentist every six months. Even my own dentist says I don't need to see him but once a year. I don't smoke, take good care of my teeth, and have no problems. I'm in and out of the dentist's office in less than 30 minutes when I do go in because there is very little for them to do.

·
Administrator
19,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The main reason I checked on the drug was because I have a really sensitive stomach and was concerned what the side effects would be with a megadose. Then I caught the "cillin" ending of the drug and really got concerned. An upset stomach would have been the least of my worries!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'm glad you went with your gut,(no pun intended) and looked it up! A habit everyone should get into when filling a prescription.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Those darn doofusses. I was in a rehab hospital once for about 2 weeks. At the time I was pretty out of it(painkillers and such) but i still checked my pills. Its a good thing too cause one morning the nurse on duty gave me my roomates meds. I dont know exactly what they would have done to me but my roomie looked like he was in worse shape than i was. Wasnt to happy about it and took it up with the head of the rehap department. Always make sure the person gets yelled at or itll happen again.

p.s. Glad youre still posting

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.