Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a sc7 streaker go-kart 5 hp. when It takes off the rear end seems to hesitates for a second then jumps forward and talks off. I had just replaces the smaller gears that had split in half inside the differential.It was doing this prior to them splitting in half. Now the new gears are doing the same thing. Can anyone tell me what I can do to get a smooth take off when I step on the gas.
When putting the gears back in everything seemed to fit nicely together so I can not understand why it is junping like this.it does have a torque converter witha belt and then a chain down to the diferential.
Please help! ::

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Isn't that how a centrifugal clutch works? Has to get up to speed before engaging. My kids go-cart was like that years ago. Maybe your set up is different...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I step on the gas and it seems the want to go then you hear a load metal hitting metal and it jumping forward to take off. Anything to do the smooth it out a lttle or is this just normal for this setup?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sounds like a converter problem that ends up loading up the spider gears( thats why they broke in half) Check the springs in the converter and also make sure the belt is not glazed in some spot resulting in slippage.. Good luck

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YES, that is the best way to describe it! loads up for a second then jumps. I will check the converter, well the belt is brand new as well as the centrifical clutch but the converter looks original and one of the rubber bushings is missing. I does not look like the converter spins any when under the load but hard to tell since it is moving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts