Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what have you got for a camera? I'm looking for opinions as to what features are really needed? How many megapixels is required etc. I'm finaly moving from the SLR to digital. Can't keep borrowing my brother-in-laws digital ::
Dave

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I started with a Canon Digital Elph S200. When it broke I upgraded to the S400. Takes 4 megapixel pics, 3 minutes of continuos video, B&W, sepia toning, etc. Came with a 32MB card, cost was around $500 out the door. I think it went on sale last week for about $300 (the 5 megapixel just came out). I'd say 4 megapixels is more than enough for high quality pics. I have to shrink them to half the size just to post them and email them without getting too many complaints. Each photo runs just under 1 MB each. I really love the camera. Small enough to fit in your pocket like a cell phone. Easy to use.

Biggest suggestion I have is to upgrade the memory card. I run a 256 MB in mine and I fill is up once a month. I think the 512 MB cards are running about $80 now.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would have to agree, I have the Canon s40 with a 128 meg card, 4 megapixles seems more than enough to do 8x10's if you want.. I have had no problems with this camera except when it was dropped onto the pavement one time. Had to do a little body work on it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
heck yah... canon's are the way to go. i have a PowerShot A40 (no longer sold I believe) and i LOVE it. I've used plenty of other camera's and the Canon PowerShot series... now i know that's not too limiting considering there are like 20 cameras in the series, but i don't really know what you are using the camera for. If you go to a store and look at the powershots they'll be able to help you narrow it down.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I bought the Sony Mavica because it uses the mini CD's. That way I don't have to worry about unloading a memory card. I can get about 85 3.2 mega pixel pictures on a disk. It will also do about 5 min of high res. streaming video. Of course they now have it in 4 or 5 mega pixel. It also has all the other features that most all of them do. The only draw back is that is larger in size than most. So far I love it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have to agree here...I'm a huge Canon fan. I have the A70 and it's stellar. I've taken it backpacking through Europe and it held up like a champ. My A70 is my 4th Canon camera (I have a couple SLRs) and I've never had a problem with any Canon product.

Amazon has the A70 on sale right now for a little over $200. Plus, if you spend $250 or more they'll give you a $50 gift card. The A80 is on sale for a little under $300. Both cameras will serve you very well.

I prefer the A series over the S series (S400, etc.) because they take AA batteries. I use rechargeable AA batteries, which are far cheaper than the unique S series batteries. Also great for traveling -- much easier to buy a pair of AA than it is to try and recharge a battery on a 220v system. :)

good luck

ps: Don't buy a digital SLR. Way overpriced in my opinion.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm running a Nikon 4.0 Megapixel. Like the Papp-razzi said, 4 is plenty high enough for most applications. If you want a full size poster of your car in fine detail you'd probably need something higher than a 5Megapixel but ... that's pretty serious photography and tons of cash. I think a 4.0 can produce a 9x11 photo in near perfect detail.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I, too, have a Canon Powershot ELPH S400. It's one of the coolest things I own. Pictures come out great, you can change the resolution and quality, and that thing is TINY. http://www.andywismar.com/themiddle/images/s400-320.jpg

I love it and highly recommened it. The only thing I regret is not havin' waited for the S500 (5 megapixels) to come out. The S500 costs the same right now then what the S400 cost when I bought it, which was not so long ago. ::

·
Registered
915 Posts
I also have the Sony with the mini-cd. For all around snap shot picture taking, I wouldn't have anything else. When I am done taking pictures, they are already permanently stored. The camera also has a nice slide show feature and composite video out. You can just plug it into the TV and watch the slide show. We use this feature a lot.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I was an early adopter and got a Fuji Finpix 4.0 megapixel. I have had it in the shop, and it was expensive. Id say you want a min 4 megapixel, an optical (not digital)zoom over 3 (and as high as you can get/afford), substantial memory (at least 128 mb) and one with good battery life. The biggest complaint on mine is the damn batteries die so quick. Also, the small size is a bonus, they are great when the can just fit in a pocket or whatever....

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all of you for the responses. It's great to hear what actually works by the guys that use them rather than put yourself at the mercy of the salesperson :)
I have always owned Canon SLR's and video cameras and was leaning towards a Canon just because I have never had a problem with any of their products.
Thanks again :D

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have had my digital for nearly quite a while! I think 4 years! I shopped for some specific features
that would serve me well. Sony Cybershot w/1.3 megapixels. It does everything I have ever asked it to.
8x10 looks great on photo paper.
I looked for rechargable batteries as I don't like constantly buying batteries.
Also went after good optics with an optical zoom. Digital zoom can be done with the photo editing
software.
It also has adjustments for low lighting and other lighting conditions.
It takes much better pics that my relatives newer 4.0 meagapixel point and shoot.
Pictures taken with it have been in Mustang Monthly and a restaurant magazine.
Used it for 8x10 point of purchase posters at a local resaurant (Peach cobbler..YUM!)
If I were to upgrade it would be more megapixels but I would not give up the other features.
I have been looking at ones that can use SLR lenses but the price stopped me.
I bought 3 Fox body verts with that money.
Good optics are like good speakers or good tires. They will get you the best out of your setup.
Bruce (TX)

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have a Cannon Powershot A80.

Think I spent a little over $600 after taxes, warranty, and accessories like 512MB memory card, rechargeable batteries, and case.

My only gripe is when I haven’t used it in a few weeks and break it out to take a picture, the batteries will often be dead, even if they were fully charged the last time I used it.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Think seriously about the Canon Digital EOS SLR systems. Sure you can get a nice little digital Elf for $400, but you can ger the new Digital Rebel (EOS 300) for around $750 and you can still use the SLR lenses you might have.

I currently shoot semi-pro with the EOS 10D. I have several excellent poster size prints. You have all the capabilities of a SLR but the film is digital. My favorite part - I can change film speed at will from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO. True thru-the-lens viewfinder. No lag when you press the shutter. Any lens you can afford - -try putting a 400mm lens on that Elf. Unlike the film SLR I can take one shot and I'm through - don't have to leave a roll of 24 in the camera for a month until I'm ready to get it developed. If you plan to shoot a lot, the savings in film and developing offset the cost of the camera.

The only drawback is the size. It won't fit in your pocket like the little point&shoots.

·
Administrator
13,032 Posts
I just bought a Canon Power Shot S410 with a 1 Gig CompactFlash unit. I got it at Costco. The thing I like about Costco is that if you don't like it you can take it back. I dropped my other camera, broke it and took it back. They gave me all my money back with no questions!! This was after 8 months.
Stan

·
Registered
270 Posts
Have a look at the Pentax Optio range, I have just recently upgraded from an old Canon Power Shot 600 to an Optio S40, it has many good picture settings, 4.0mega pixels, x3 optical zoom etc. I chose the Pentax because of their history in optics / lens production and have been very happy with it.

John......

·
Registered
966 Posts
Don't spend all your time measuring megapixels. Although the Canon Powershot A80 is out now, I opted for the A60. It has most of the same features, takes up to 2 megapixels, and the pictures come out great! Add to it that you can buy one for about $135, and you can't go wrong! Check out the whole line.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have a Canon A70 (3.2 mp, nice pictures, small size and easy to use), a Fuji Finpic (?) (6 mp, nice pictures and nice zoom, not as compact as the Canon) and I just purchased a Nikon 8700. The Nikon is the best out of them all, although a little more complicated to use. Picture quality is fantastic, even at max optical zoom (nothing is good in digital zoom).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts