Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about posting on this subject for a while, but do to the recent post
O/T Need Help telling parents I smoke.
and the unanimous consensus that he should quit. I have been wondering just who smokes? Or who smoked and how many years? Do you smoke in your Mustang? Do you smoke in your home. How much do you smoke? Do you buy your smokes a pack or a carton at a time? (This is the one that really gets me, maybe cause I am cheap and hate waisting money) OK so I could go on and on with this survey. fd

#1 Do you smoke?
#2 How long? (Age started to age quit)
#3 How much on average did you or do you smoke?
#4 Do you light up anywhere or only outside in the "smoking section"?
#5 Do you want to quit or do you enjoy it?
#6 How much is a pack for you?

For me it would be;

#1 Not any more.
#2 I would sneek some of my Moms smokes as a kid. :: I would have some when I was out drinking with my buddies, but around '97 when I was traveling a lot with my former job I would buy smokes. I quit in '00 when I had surgery to remove a lump on my thyroid. (Not related to smoking, just a wake up call)
#3 No more than a pack a week of Marlboro lights.
#4 Usually only outside, Never in my Mustang. Sometimes in the rental car, but with windows down. (To me it is gross to see someone smoking in a car with the windows up Yuck!)
#5 I have no desire to smoke anymore.
#6 Somewhere around 3 bucks a pack or so in the late '90s

The one thing that really stuck in my mind when reading all of the posts to the tread in quotes at the top of this page is something that was said:
You will be the MOST disciminated against minority in America.
Here in California that is very true. You cannot smoke indoors or public places anymore. (Not counting your own home)

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
ONLY when I catch my cloths on fire while welding . :: :: ::

I really don't mind if folks smoke,as long as they are on fire ! ::

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Nope, never.
No one smoke in any of my cars or in my house.
Boyfriend smoked occassionally (less than one per day when we met). Refused to kiss BF when he smoked- he quit w/i 3 months.

·
Registered
746 Posts
1. No, My parents smoked and it would make me gag, especially in the car. I can still remember that smell and begging them to crack the windows. Going through college I worked at Farmer Jacks and selling smokes for 3 dollars a carton, back in the early 80's. I cant believe that they are 4 dollars a pack now!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
1. use to
2. started at age 9, quit last Nov when I turned 45
3. anywhere from 1/2 - full pack a day (camels)
4. early years would smoke in YOUR house, anywhere (no manners), when our 1st born (THSBabyHuey) was on the way I moved to smoking outside only. It gets COLD in Kansas!
5. N/A The crave comes back briefly. It was BAD during the first few months. I only have a passing thought about it now.
6. N/A I quit right before they raised the price. When I started they were .35 a pack.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I really don't mind if folks smoke,as long as they are on fire ::
i am getting ready to go to my aunt's funeral
because she died of smoking. yes i currently smoke and i will be going to my doctor when i get back maybe he can help me
chris

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Tried it for about a year when I was a teenager. It was about the same time I got my first electric guitar. I thought a lit smoke looked cool stuck under the strings in the headstock. :p I never got past that sick feeling though, so I dropped it. That must've been more than 20 years ago; and I probably smoked less than 100 cigarettes in the whole year. To this day – when I smell a cigarette – I get that sick-to-my-stomach feeling all over again.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
1. quit
2. 14-17
3. only a couple a day(trying to be cool!)
4. where ever my freinds were
5. hated it!
6. now a pack of 25 is about $11.00 here

Oh ya, you smoke in my car, I'll kick your a$$!

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
No, I've never smoked and I hate the odor. My dad smoked for 20+ years but quit when I was about 4 years old. I remember he let me have a puff once and that killed any desire to ever have one of those things in my mouth. :p

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
#1 Do you smoke? Not now.
#2 How long? (Age started to age quit). Began at age 18 and stopped at age 40.
#3 How much on average did you or do you smoke? Pack a day.
#4 Do you light up anywhere or only outside in the "smoking section"? Quit when smoking became socially unacceptable to many people.
#5 Do you want to quit or do you enjoy it? There was a certain enjoyment but there was also smoker's cough, foul smelling ashtrays, etc.
#6 How much is a pack for you? I quit when the cost got to $0.35 a pack (20).

My advice is not to start smoking, if you already smoke then plan to stop as soon as possible. Smoking after 40 is very dangerous...guy here who is 48 didn't and last month they cut his tongue out because it was cancerous...he smoked too many for too long! They are coffin nails...

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
#1 Do you smoke? Unfortunately, yes.
#2 How long? (Age started to age quit)Started at 16, now 42 and counting.
#3 How much on average did you or do you smoke? Depends on the job stress level. Lately 1 1/2 packs/day. Normally 1 pack/day.
#4 Do you light up anywhere or only outside in the "smoking section"? Outside only, excpet at bars. In the Mustang with windows down when I'm moving...
#5 Do you want to quit or do you enjoy it? Yes. I enjoy it, and that is what makes it hard to quit.
#6 How much is a pack for you? Luckily for me, I travel to Virginia frequently so I buy them there. $22/carton compared to $45 here in PA

I AM a social pariah. I am not worthy of friends, blah bl;ah, blah. I try to be courteous when around others, especially if I know they dislike it. However, there are limits to my tolerance to those who play activist around me! ::

Frank

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
#1 Do you smoke?
Yes.

#2 How long? (Age started to age quit)
Ummmm. 6-7 years...something like that.

#3 How much on average did you or do you smoke?
At my worst: 1 1/2 packs per day
Now: about 1/3 of a pack per day

#4 Do you light up anywhere or only outside in the "smoking section"?
I am considerate of others. I never smoke in someone's car unless they do. I try not to bother anyone with it that doesn't smoke. I don't smoke in the house. I won't smoke near my kids. And so on.

#5 Do you want to quit or do you enjoy it?
I enjoy it, but I'd like to quit. I don't handle stress very well and smoking a cigarette usually helps settle my nerves.

#6 How much is a pack for you?
$2.85 - Kools

Here in California that is very true. You cannot smoke indoors or public places anymore. (Not counting your own home)
I work part time as a server/waiter and had a girl from CA come in the other day. She was SO excited because she could smoke in the restuarant. Smoking section, of course. :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
nope, never... Never had a desire to. Both my parents smoked, and I grew up with hatred of the smell.

·
Registered
434 Posts
#1 Not anymore (I do enjoy a good cigar now and then :D
#2 Started around 18 (socially) quit at 28
#3 at 18 maybe 1 smoke a week (thought I looked cool)...close to a pack a day in my mid twenties (along with a can of Kodiak every 3 days)
#4 Outside usually
#5 I quit at age 28 (both smokes and dip) I will have been nicotine free for 4 years this October (other than the occasional cigar)
The only times I get a slight craving is if it's about 68 degrees, bright blue sky, no humidity...you know...a crisp feeling day :p
#6 It was $2.50 or so a pack when I quit, dip was around $3.00 a can
Cigars run between $10-$20 a piece (or more) now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey there,

For me the answers would be:

1. Yes
2. 18 Years
3. 1 1/2 packs per day (carton per week)
4. Only smoke outside
5. Conflicted on this one. Would like to quit eventually, but not right now.
6. Purchase by the carton about $28.00

Have kids, and don't smoke in the car, in the house or anywhere else directly near them. Terrible habbit, difficult to quit. Tried to quit 6 times, longest lasted one month, shortest lasted 12 hours.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts