Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SWMBO and I love to spend summer weekends camping. The negative side of that is a69Fcode sits being ignored. We love the quiet cool days (65 degrees last weekend), sitting by the fire with my buddy Adolph Coors, and going on hikes. One of our favorite sites is somewhat remote. It is 100% unimproved (w/o pooper or water), it offers a lot of solitude.

Do you camp... why?

Here are some pics (Elevation is 10,200 ft)

View at camp site: http://a1.cpimg.com/image/AF/B3/21670831-9be4-02000155-.jpg

View A from camp site: http://a4.cpimg.com/image/B2/B3/21670834-ea3a-02000155-D.jpg

View B from camp site: http://a7.cpimg.com/image/B5/B3/21670837-7d01-02000155-.jpg

Sometimes I LOVE living in Utah

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Our family enjoys camping. However, SWMBO's definition of camping is quite different than HWMOBOU's or mine. I spent last week in southwestern Oregon with HWMOBOU in the cascades and we both loved it. SWMBO's idea of camping is the Bellagio in Vegas...

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,336 Posts
Yep, LOVE camping. Last year we did a 2000 mile tour of CA, up to Crater Lake in OR, then to Portland then all the way back to San Francisco via Highway 1 on the coast, camping all the way except for 2 nights in Portland.

The Summer before that, we did a 2500 mile loop out from San Francisco to Utah, Provo, Bryce etc. and all around the Canyons in southern Utah. Fantastic trip! Amazing country.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I love to camp, but unfortunately my wife's family never did so she isn't too excited about it. I'm fine in a two person pup tent, but she'd rather be staying at the Holiday Inn. I imagine if I had a more sophisticated setup she'd enjoy it. Nice View BTW!

James

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
I camp with my son.We usually go for fishing trips.My poor back cant take sleeping on the ground much anymore so we dont camp as much as we used to.

·
Registered
321 Posts
We go camping with a motorhome. My idea of roughing it is only bringing one television!! ::

·
Registered
912 Posts
I love camping. Here in Minnesota we have one of the greatest camping locations in the world. The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness on the border with Canada. There is nothing like canoeing and portaging 20-25 miles in two days to get to a nice island campsite and seeing no one for the next week, having nothing other than what you can carry on your back. I have been backcounrty in places like Denali as well, and the BWCAW is the greatest place I have ever camped at.

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
What part of Utah are you in? I was born in and grew up in Sandy. We used to go to Lake Powell several times a summer, and used to bike down in Moab. Then there was skiing at Park City, Snowbird, etc... :)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Me and the gf went camping over the fourth of July and plan to take a week off sometime in August to head up into the mountains. But when we go camping, we take along the horses. Having mountain ranges on three sides of Redding makes it a great place to hit the trails. :)

·
Administrator
13,019 Posts
The only kind of camping I do is with Howard & Johnson!! LOL If God wanted us to go camping, why did He invent hotels???
Stan

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Usually lots of trailer camping with SWMBO & Kids. But in a couple weeks, I'll be rowing a raft down Oregon's Rogue River with my 2 sons for some serious Father/Son bonding and outdoor adventure seeking ::

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We live in the greater Salt Lake City area. The photos were taken in the Uintah National Forest, just over 2 hours from home.

Like a lot of us guys, SWMBO had not done much camping and what she had done was not enjoyable. Her idea of roughing it was not having room service. Myself I spent a lot of time backpacking for 2 weeks at a wack, and loved it. However as age settles in the thought of schleping a 60 lb pack does not thrill me. We bought the "pop-up" three years ago. It is the thing to have!!!! Paid just over 7K for it then added some comfort features. The two beds have an additional 2 inches of foam. Makes the sleeping quite comfy. I upgraded the battery system, it can now run for 4 days, including the water pump and the TV. Yes, we have a TV w/ a built in DVD. For SWMBO the trailer has a shower. It is outdoor but hey, it works. The trailer has forced air furnace, water heater, fridge, and pressurized water. All in all it is great for three or four nights.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
This is us "camping" at the Winston race in Charlotte this spring. As you can see we were really roughing it. :)

http://web.infoave.net/~ronniek/9.jpg

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
When i was a kid we camped lots with ma and pa. Now with a family of my own we have camped far less, not sure why. Maybe because we live in the bush and our backyard is all bush with fire pit etc...., certainly not the view you have shown us (nice!!).
I bought a pop up for cheap and did some repairs to it and it has served us fine (my view not hers), when we have gone on big trips the kids have a blast. Lately we have been using just the boat and spend the day on the water, to return home at night.
I'll bet if we lived in a bigger center we would all want to get out of town and hit the wilderness. Instead we head south and hit the big city.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Layne,

Where is this spot? Could be above Roosevelt...? I lived in Vernal for a couple of years in the early 70's during the oil boom there. I learned to really love the Uinta's. Here's our compromise (between me and SWMBO):
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/798/cc1cropped.jpg
It's small, hence not too hard to pull or maneuver, but has a lot of room with a slide-out.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Nice rig, Layne....

Yes, we do camp, and generally only in places which we are the only humans around. I figure there aren't many humans around where I live so I don't go looking for crowds when I camp *G*

My race car hauler has found a second life as a camper hauler. *G*

Road to future retirement property (my choice anyway), with Renee in foreground.

Hope to be travelling to or through your neck of the woods on our next long trip.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
We love to go to the lake and fish and enjoy the outdoors. Unfortunately the army ruined my desire to camp. I got burned out pretty quickly. We have a 5th wheel travel trailer set up at a rv park and visit whenever we can. Its not true camping but it gets us back to nature... :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts