Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 99 Dodge Durango 4X4. Its in Tx. I just had to tell some one. I have to fly to Tx and drive it back. Its got the 5.9L engine. Anyone ever drive one of these. Do they have good power? What kind of gas mileage. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
V8 SUV's are not vehicles you would usually be concerned about gas mileage in since they are among the biggest gas hogs on the road. It's just not the type of vehicle you buy if you're going to be worried about how much gas it's going to use, and since yours has the biggest engine available for that model it's safe to say you'll get the worst mpg of any Durango. On the bright side the 5.9 is a torquey engine that responds well to simple mods (exhaust, prom chips, etc) and is capable of really serious power with the right parts. So just enjoy using the go pedal and make sure you have plenty of room on your gas card :D

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I just bought a 99 Dodge Durango 4X4. Its in Tx. I just had to tell some one. I have to fly to Tx and drive it back. Its got the 5.9L engine. Anyone ever drive one of these. Do they have good power? What kind of gas mileage. Thanks for the info.
They drive nice....
They have good power My 71 Mach 1 will kick its ass heheh ::
With CA gas you will suck bad on the gas Maybe 13-15 Avg
A little late to be asking these Q's now??

Enjoy the ride back! and congrats! ::

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
ive read that durango's have just about THE worst mileage of any SUV in its class.

my mom had a nice yukon a few years back, that thing was a pretty bad gas hog in town . but on the freeway it knocked down some good mileage despite the big V8. i used to have some fun with that thing off road :)

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
i had an 01 ram 4x4 long bed reg cab with the 5.9 auto.
i bought it new and kept it for 2.5 years before trading it in with only 12K miles. I couldn't afford to drive the thing
it was TERRIBLE on gas only avg 12-13 at best in the city and when i took highway trips it didn't get much better......happily traded it in for a 04 ranger 4x4
good luck to you
russ

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi,

I had a 2000 Durango R/T with the 5.9 engine in it for 82,000 miles (bought it new). You'll enjoy the torque. You'll get about 14 mpg on the highway and about 12 or 13 around town. There are lots of mods you can make to the 5.9. Go to www.Durangoclub.com and ask for input. I had headers, a Mopar computer (PCM), a large throttle body, a free flow cat and exhaust, K&N ram air intake, MSD ingnition and Accel coil along with some other (non-engine) stuff. There are intakes, heads and even bottom end things you can do to make big power but the bolt ons were just fine with me.

Good luck with it,
Paul

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I had a 5.9Ltr '99 dodge durango for 5 yrs. It was an EXCELLENT truck. It has a phenomenal towing capacity (7500lbs). Good power. Lots of room. and it handles pretty well for the truck that it is. Good luck with it!

Transporting Dodgestang's DT twixt PA and MD was just one of the many many tasks I pulled with this truck.
http://www.nenny.com/DT-LeavingPA-2.jpg

PS - drove it x-country 5x. Traded it on a Jeep Renegade because SWMBO fell in love with the Libby :(
Now all my towing is done with my 49Ford F1.
Jer

·
Registered
261 Posts
My Boss has one that I drove for a month around some mines near Battle Mountain, Nevada. I would agree with the mileage figures, I think 14 was the best I ever recorded, normal was around 10-11. Of course this is with a lot of off-road stuff. My biggest complaint was with visibility. I had a hard time seeing out the windshield. It seemed like it was too small or something. Also the rearview mirror took a lot of space. Also the front windshield pillars are quite thick and hard to see around. Other than that it seemed okay. I would have definitly preferred to be driving something with a blue oval though!!!

Brian

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
I had a 2000 with the 5.9L, loved the truck...quite comfy with the SLT package, leather and all the goodies. Tons of power, gas mileage SUCKED. But, when you buy the big V8, what do you expect? Although, I felt it's mileage was poor compared to similar-size engines by other name plates. I swapped the balloon tires for a set of 17" R/T wheels which really improved the handling.

·
Registered
771 Posts
We have a 99 Durango 5.9 that we bought new six years ago. Gas mileage 12-13 city, 15 hwy (maybe 16 on a good day). Great all around vehicle and it does tow. We have spent very little on maintenance but Dodge managed to replace a few window motors before the warranty was out. Here's a pic when we brought the Mach home. You'll notice that I am giving the Durango a little drink! ::
http://home.mchsi.com/~campbellmike/DSCN0364a.JPG

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My pop had one. Same 360 with the towing package which went with 371 or 390 gears or something with the 31x10.5 tires.

He got 13-15 around town 14-16 on the highway.

It was a dog with fuel. Always hanging it's tounge out when going past a gas station.

The only thing with these rigs is there is a bottom end bearing problem which causes a deep knock at idle and goes away slighly off idle.

Just something to watch out for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts