Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '89 Mercury Sable, I have recently experienced some problems with acceleration as well as idle. Basically, sometimes when I am accelerating or just have my foot on the gas, the car "bucks" as if a big monster is momentarily grabbing onto the rear bumper and letting go repeatedly. It is not the fuel filter, injectors, pump etc. Also, occasionally when I put it back into park after driving, the engine will rev to 2000 rpm. Sometimes when I drive the car it is fine, but others it will exhibit these problems. These symptoms point me toward the EGR valve, but I was wondering if anyone knows any symptoms of a faulty EGR valve. The '89 is equipped with a pressure feedback electronic (PFE) EGR valve which essentially uses vacuum to operate. If the valve was malfunctioning, could it produce these symptoms? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
On older EGR valves they came on higher up in the rpms(2500) and it would make the engine run realy lean. It made the enigne shake like jello in an earthquake.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interestingly enough, I notice it most often around 1600 rpm (~45 mph). Sometimes when I get up to 1600, it will start bucking, whereas other times, the car will accelerate by itself to around 60 mph. Could this still be EGR related? I plan to run some diagnostics on it either today or tomorrow, but I'm trying to save myself time because I leave town on Sunday to head back to school.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Pull the trouble codes. That will atleast point you in the general direction of what is malfunctioning.

I have just been doing a lot of work on my cousins EGR system in her Mercury Topaz. I posted here about it a few days ago (do a search for EGR or PFE), you might want to take a look at it to see if any of what I experienced is relavent to your problems. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts