Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming back from the E/W Shrine football game towing a trailer full of clown bikes and a jeep my rear tank went dry. Switched to the full front tank and..nothing. Guage works, can't find a bad fuse or relay, but the front tank will not deliver. Sat along I-84 for two hours before AAA brought some gas for the empty tank. This truck has the in-tank electric pumps which you can hear buzzing just befor start-up. They were both working fine over the weekend. Has anyone had this problem?

:: help!! ::

·
Registered
566 Posts
the shuttle valve under the truck is bad. This happend to my grandfathers truck. When the switch was thrown the gualge switched tanks but the valve under the truck didn't.

should take less than 2 hours to fix easy job.

·
Administrator
19,354 Posts
EFI trucks dont have tank valves, they just turn one pump off and the other on. The is a pressure resevoir in the same location that the older carb'd trucks have the tank valve(I have one of each trucks). The guage senders aren't tied into the pumps and are on their own circuits except for also going through the dash switch.
It's very common to lose a fuel pump. A wrecker driver friend was burning out pumps once a year until he found that if he tended to keep the tanks topped up they lasted longer. AnF350 and a F450 Super Duty, both with around 300K miles. We figure keeping enough fuel in the tank so that the runnng pump is completely submerged helps the pump motor run cooler.
I try to keep my tanks at least half full on my F150. 6 years of driving (145K miles when I got it) and no fuel pump failure yet. Knock on wood.
It's certainly no just Fords. Fuel pumps just go out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts