Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like GM has contracted Ford-owned Cosworth to supply IRL engines to replace the GM in-house designed engine. Even though the Chevy IRL engine is a recent design, it has suffered humiliation this season at the hands of Toyota and Honda. Desperate, Chevy sought a replacement and turned to Cosworth. It's interesting that when they couldn't lobby for special rules or legislated advantages to make their cars winners, they gave up on their engine. I'll bet you won't hear the term "Ford-Cosworth" mentioned much now! How neat it would be to see those IRL Chevy engines with "Chevrolet Powered By Ford-Cosworth" on their cam covers. I suppose Ford allowed the contract to go through to help their current financial situation.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
That wouldnt surprise me a bit......I've long yearned to read that NASCAR has whored itself to chevy.....

·
Registered
846 Posts
That's the problem with Chevy and IRL, they don't and can't utilize technology. Guess that's why the IRL is the lowest form of openwheel racing between the big 3....Cart, Forumla 1 and IRL.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The Bow Tie guys will never want to hear this one, they'll probably be in denial for yrs to come !

·
Registered
391 Posts
You hit it right on the head. One of the basic ideas behind the IRL was to reduce the dependency upon hi tech to control cost and return more of the outcome to the ability of the driver. F1 has gotten to the point that you need to be a computer jock to drive. CART just got stuck in the middle. Looks like odd man for them.

-BS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts