Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Ford escape with 7800 miles on it. Problem is (I think it is a problem) that it needs new tires already sicne the ones on it will not pass inspection. The truck is not beat in any way and I do equal city and highway driving. My cousin has the same SUV and had to also put new tires on at 8K miles. Was wondaring if any others have escapes and have had to changes tires so quickly. Dealer tells me this is normal wear for the tires. They are Generals!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
it's teh way that stupid thing is designed. You know why they call it the escape? Because it escaped all the inspectors and design engineers at the factory. They have no clue what they were doing when they built that vehicle. I think they had 11 recalls on them when they were not even shipped yet.

Are you talking front tires or rear tires, or all 4 tires in need of replacement? Try a different brand for sure. perhaps get a set that are guaranteed for so many miles, and if all 4 fail again, you can stick em on warantee claim #blah and move on down the road. I know it's not fair, but I feel bad for those who bought the escape. Nothing I saw about it is good in a mechanical standpoint. (btw, I worked for a Ford dealership when they first came out. I was one of the first to be trained to program PATS keys.) If you ask me $60 for a spare key is rediculous.

btw, what was the wear pattern like? to the inside, outside, up the middle? Curious...

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have a 2002 with 31K on it, and my tires are great. They are continentials. I just got rear-ended 2 days ago, so it is in the shop with major repair work, I think the first year and a half really did have issues, but most have been worked out. However, ford put the dumbest desgned cheapest interior in them you can imagine (unless you upgrade to the leather for the price of an exploder). I have no Idea why they dont make the ranger in a front wheel drive scenario,,,,

·
Premium Member
19,220 Posts
SWMBO's 93 Exploder has 45k miles on it, and we're on our fifth set of tires. They wear extremely prematurely by cupping. Several alignments have not found the problem.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I have a 2002 XLT Escape with 39k on it and no problems with tire wear.
They're the Continentals and they're not the greatest for wet traction but wear hasn't been bad. I'll be changing them ot next spring but should get 50k ot of them.
I love the truck, no major problems so far.
Couple of minor things the dealer fixed no problem.
I do have the tranny shudder though which worries me a little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts