Vintage Mustang Forums banner

O/T-Ford forum members vs Chevy forum members -stirring a nest? Hope not.

1K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  GypsyR 
#1 ·
OK, I might be putting myself out on a limb and hope that all of you can find a way to forgive me. I don't mean to stir stuff up but I gotta know:

Are Ford owners as tough against Chevys as Chevy owners are againt Fords? Since I own a '50 chevy truck, 2 explorers, Buick Riviera and now part owner of a '65 coupe, I'm not hard core for any particular brand. If it was up to my daughter we'd have a fleet of Mustangs & BelAirs ("don't forget early '50's chevy trucks says dad").

Yes, I belong to a chevy truck forum which even for me has gone a little too far with this anti-Ford thing. If I type the word Ford in and hit submit, it will reappear as ****. This is automatically done via their server (don't get any ideas).

Another Chevy guy has always been very opinionated saying that if he knew a Ford person was coming to see him, he'd demand that the person park their Ford down the street.

"Oh give me a freakin break I said" I was given the silent treatment for awhile afterwards until the heat wore off.

Of course I don't expect VMF members to be anything like that, right?????? What happen to peace and love?

See less See more
#4 ·
Nope, Ford owners aren't like that, we don't have any insecurities about our vehicles. ::

#5 ·
I really don't understand the chevy guys not likeing fords.
http://www.65yellowmustang.com/bowties.jpg
I have nothing against them ::

#7 ·
I recently had a situation where I was in the pool with the kids and a couple kids my daughter watches--The Mach 1 was partially backed out of the garage and the kids asked if they could wash the car--I asked my daughters friend if he'd mind starting up the Mach and backing it up about 10 feet--He said "no"--I thought he was kidding and said "hey look, I'm wet and you could back it up for me"--He said "I'd rather push a Chevy than sit in a Ford!!"--I couldn't beleive how rude this person was in my house--So I moved the car myself and told my daughter that this a-hole was no longer welcome in my yard--I mean come on,That was totally unnecessary to say that--It's not like I was asking him to wash,wax,pose with this Ford and get a blue oval tatoo!

So, yea, I think Chevy lovers do get a little extreme--I prefer Fords myself but do admire some early Chevy (and other) muscle iron

#8 ·
LOL I hope not. I drive a GMC P.U. and the wife drives a Chevy Tahoe. ( We save the Mustangs for fun ;) :: ::)

#9 ·
I tend to think chevy owners are a bit redneck and egotistic, about 10x more than ford owners.

That said I'd love a late 60's camaro.. parked right next to my stang!

#10 ·
My first car was a '65 Chevy Impala with a 327. It cost $200 and the first thing I did was put on wide raised white letter Goodyear tires and installed a 8 track with 2 6x9 speakers in the back and one speaker in the dash. I was 16 and I love that car. My next car was a '73 Oldsmobile Cutlass S, then a '80 something LTD with a 390 then a '79 GMC Sierra Classic with a great port fuel injected 350. Next was an '86 Honda Accord SEI for the wife, '88 4x4 Trail Blazer then a '94 4x4 Explorer. I my driveway right now is my '70 Mach I, '98 Pontiac Firebird Formula (which I just purchased for my daughter, she settled for the Formula because I wouldn't let go of my Mustang), '98 Eddie Bauer Explorer and my wife’s '96 Camry.

That is:

Ford-= 4
General Motors= 5 GMC= 1 Olds= 1 Pontiac= 1 Chevy= 2
Foreign= 2

All these vehicle have there own set of character traits for which I made a decision to purchase. One thing is we have enjoyed all of them for various reasons and still enjoy the ones we own today. I say "to each his own" and if you don't experience varity and diversity, you are missing out on life.

That being said I drive the 4x4's because they get me to and from the beach, hunting trips and large family outings. The Foreign cars get my wife were she wants to go in her style and the Mustang and Firebird get me and my daughter there with power, fun and in style.

I have been away from VMF for a while do to priorities in my life but I still come here and lurk every once and awhile and these guys treat each other with respect and it all starts at the top. Bob and the monitors are great people as well as car nuts that just so happen to spend most of there time with Mustangs rather than any other car because it is a Mustang, which just so happens to be a FORD. I bet if you took a survey of all the VMFers' you will find a myriad of car and truck brands and models.

One of my best friends and next door neighbor has always been a Chevy muscle car guy and we work on his 68 Camaro and my Mustang together all the time.

There is competition in everything different. Good sports make it fun.

http://www.ultraphoto.com/MUSTANGS/MeNicolesFirbird.jpg

#11 ·
As one member says in his posts "I love chevys....they taste just like chicken!

Seriously, I think some of the chevy guys take it a bit too far. As we all love our classic Mustangs, and defend them, the chevy guys do too. What I do see is some chevy guys don't like when a chevy body is used and a Hot Rod Ford motor is in it. Kinda a one sided deal if you ask me. I've owned Fords, Dodges and Chevys, I just prefer Fords. And it has nothing to do with my last name being Ford either ::

Mkerkes......love that photo!

#12 ·
The club (Silverton Flywheels) I belong to is non-type specific. During meetings and get together there are many Ford, Chev, Mopar and other jabs, jokes and comments but I have never seen anyone get mad or take offense. It is all in fun and everyone gets a laugh. www.silvertonflywheels.org

#13 ·
Geeze, I had no idea some Chevy guys could be this bad! We aren't even that bad to ricers! And they are lower than any Chevy in my book.

You know, it's funny, I'm actually looking for a classic car to be my new daily driver, when the Mustang sells. I'm not brand specific. I'd take a nice '55 Bel Air as quickly as a '55 Vicky.

#14 ·
It don't matter to me what you drive and if you want to come visit me in your Chevy come on over.

Oh, by the way....

Please bring a sufficient number of cardboard pieces to catch the leaks so you don't stain my driveway :)

#15 ·
Generally Ford owners are not knuckle dragger's like the chebby owners
We be higher evolved
I'd have to agree with that ::
SWMBO and I were out in Bend,OR last week and stopped in at the local Cruse-In. I walked up to the only guy with a Stang and as I started talking to him I hear this load mouthed, smoker, gravely crack ho voice yell "Yea, maybe you'll get lucky and that junk Ford will grow up to be a Cheeveee! Then I'll go for a ride"

That mentality has always been the standard that I've come across. I have nothing against Cool cars whatever the brand, I just prefer Mustangs...Always have. It is refreshing to be here, a part of the VMF and have like minded people that own a wide variety of cars but still have Clean Knuckles :p
That's why this place is Special!

BTW, That one lady was the only Kook I met in Oregon over a 7 day trip ;)

#16 ·
I didn't think people like that still existed. I joke about Chevys and Mopars sometimes but I never really mean it. In fact one of my best friends drives a 1969 Camaro SS396 convertible... sweet! One of my dream cars is a 1960 Impala, I'd never dream of turning up my nose because it is a bowtie.

These days we should all stick together to fend off the HUUUGE "ricewagon" phenomenon!! Although when I mention the R-word on my local Mustang website, the moderators go into a shiznit for some reason!

#17 ·
quite honestly I cant stand GMs (long train of stories) I think they are cheap (no offence to you chevy drivers) but I aint gonna say "you drive a chevy you can kiss this and it aint my lips". thats just insane. I joke alot with my freinds about dodges and chevys but it all hoestly dont matter. although my pride would probably have to jump off mount everest before I bought a chevy ::

Preston
Future NASCAR Chevy Killer & The Lord of the Dance

#18 ·
Bartl,
My chevy truck doesn't leak oil.....It marks its territory.

Boy am I glad to see you people are not so critical as compared to other groups. Originally the joking was funny but once you see it happen over and over, becoming serious, its no longer fun. Thanks for shedding some light on this subject.

Oh yeah, just to let you know that in a week or so my '50 Chevy truck will be hauling my daughter's blown 302 from our house to the local engine machine shop. See? Chevy's are good for something! ::

Craig

#19 ·
Yeah, I run into the same thing all the time, but not usually from real car enthusiasts. Most of the real "car guys" that I know have a lot of respect and admiration for Ford, Chevy and Mopar, no matter what they own. Usually the ones who make the stupid comments about Fords just don't really know that much about them. They just think it sounds cool because they heard it from someone else.

I wouldn't mind owning a 67-69 Camaro or an early '70s ElCamino.

#20 ·
It's all about the resale value :) .

I was speaking with a friend of mine who is rebuilding a 57 Belair . He likes to bash Fords along with most of the other guys at work . I stopped him up pretty good they other day though . He said something like "Your junky little mustang will never be worth as much as a 57 chevy " . I replied " Oh yeah , I guess so .... but lemme ask if a 57 Chevy has ever sold for $120,000 ? " He replied " Umm no , not that high " . So I told him "Ohh , Ive seen a few junky Shelby Mustangs sell for that much ....." . He got quiet realt fast :)
He likes Mustangs , he just like roasting me along with all the other Chevy guys .
When they get mouthy , I remind them whom to thank for the Camaro being built ... that's right ... Ford's Pony car :) ..... drops em every time .

#22 ·
Personally I don't care to associate with anyone who is rabid Ford, or Chevy, or Honda, etc. I think they are being narrow minded and stupid.
I've worked with a die hard Chevy guy for 9 years now. He's the proud owner of 69 SS Camaro. I can't begin to list all the Ford versus Chevy ribbing we've given each other over the years. We stop by to inspect each other progress on our cars on a regular basis. I've never had anything bad to say about his car, nor he about mine. We in fact tend to look for stuff to say like "Yeah, too bad Ford/Chevy didn't do it that way too."
Neither one of us cares anything about Dodges much, but when a guy pulled a SuperBird into the parking lot one day we got in a wrestling match in the doorway trying to be the first to get and and have a look.
We're car guys. We have our own preferences, but they're all cars, and we like them. If it's cool, whatever particular brand name it bears isn't terribly important. Anybody who thinks the brand is the most important thing about a car can't be very intelligent. Would you make fun of your neighbors because they use Palmolive while you think Dawn is the best dish washing liquid ever made? Or hurl verbal abuse at them because they don't use the same toothpaste as you? Sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it?

"He can't be a man, because he doesn't smoke the same cigarette as me." -Mick Jagger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.