Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a 72 LTD country squire station wagon, with a 351C and a C-6 tranny. She asked if I would rebuild the carb cuz the car has been useing alot more gas than usual. Then she tells me a week later, the car has no power, and takes a while to get up to speed. I take the car for a test drive, put it in reverse, on a slope, and the car won't move, I give it some gas and it clunks violently all the way down the driveway. Going forward, is smooth but requires the that the go pedal remains on the floor, also accompanied by some squealing and grinding. I check the dipstick, and the fluid is very thin, dark brown, and smells burnt. The car almost made it to my house, had to tow it the last mile. I went to tow it backwards a few yard to push it into my driveway, and the car would not budge, even in nuetral, I checked the rear brakes to make sure they weren't locked, but I broke a tow strap trying to move this car. I ended up towing it around the block forwards to get it into my driveway. I got the tranny ou tof the car, the pump shaft will spin, but the mainshaft and tailshaft won't. We are ordering the new tranny today. I have never seen an auto die like this before, that even in nuetral, the car would not move. The car has 170k miles, but the motor runs like a dream. Do auto trannies always go this painfully?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
There are overrunning clutch assemblies that allow the shaft to turn one way and not the other. If one of those clutches came apart and jammed you would get those exact symptoms. My guess is if you pulled the pan you would find pieces of springs and metal in the bottom of it...

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
when my C4 decided to go it was something like that, not QUITE as bad as what you described but, depending on WHAT goes out or how bad anything goes with a tranny. my front pump failed, causing there to be no fluid going through the trans, which in effect caused all the bands and everything else to get fried completly. nothing worked, the tranny didnt shift , and taking off was nearly impossible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts