Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 2 100 watt bulbs over my car.
Will I see a big improvement by replacing each with a 4ft, 2 bulb Floresent fixture.
Opinions and recommendations plz.

John

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I'd say DEFINITELY.. i have 2 100 watts in my new garage, and its pitiful compared to my old garage that had 2 4" 2 bulb setups... I'm going to put new fixtures up ASAP. World of difference.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have 8' double tubes on top of each car and 4' 4 tube fixtures at the work bench and it is plenty of light and cost effective...

·
Premium Member
19,215 Posts
I've got 28 double 8' long fluorescent fixtures in the Garage Majal. I wanted lights! Camera! Action! Us Old Farts need light to see things well.

Only problem: the contractor put in 35W bulbs instead of 75W! Duh! I haven't changed them out yet, but I will.

Why so many? FL building codes are such that adding fixtures after the fact is very hard to do. Plus, there's no real access to the attic area with the cutout for the lift. It's easier to remove light bulbs to reduce the light than to add fixtures at a later date.

Fluorescent lighting is the hardest light on cars, as it reveals every subtle flaw in the paint, due to the light line the car reflects.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
If you are only going to place two fixtures and have the option, I'd suggest not putting them directly over the car. Off to the side will provide better light for just about all jobs.

Just my $.02... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
If possible, try and mount one forward of the hood, or at least adjacent to the fender, so it shines into the engine compartment.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,232 Posts
It's hard to get TOO much light. I have 16 of those 4 foot fixtures in my garage. And a couple more over the workbenches. The big transparent roof panels help the most though.
I bought my fixtures at WalMart on sale for about $7.50 each. If you look, sometimes the bulbs will be on sale for a buck apiece. They're very install and just plug into an outlet. 2 may be enough, but I bet 4 would be better.
I've been using my lights for 4 years and only one bulb has gone bad so far. Sometimes the cheap stuff IS good.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
you cannot have too much light in a garage
your gonna be a happy guy when you start body work
now for the bifocal glasses with the 14x magification across the top and bottom and your set to go.great for workin under the dash
hummm, would that be tri-focal

·
Registered
21,274 Posts
Get 2 F96t8, 2 tube fixtures and angle them at 45 degrees at each side where the wall meets the ceiling. F12's are being phased out, T8's are where it's at along with electronic ballast. The T's are rated in Kelvin degree rather then coolwhites, warmwhites, ect. Get 3500K and this will give you a natural color index. It'll make the colors really pop out!

If you must stick to a T12 technology, try mixing coolwhites and warmwhites in the fixture. it'll look funky when you look up at it, but it's an old trick to give a more natural light.

T8's are a far more efficient bulb. Speaking of efficient lighting, well metal halides are good but take a long time to ignite.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
floro is always the way to go in light, cheap light. if yah wanted to go HID(high intensty discharge) its like a 429 on a gocart - overkill 1500 watt hps(high presure soduim) or metal halide will make you garage look like aleins landed, sorry i worked for a lighting supply company in the bay-area for 3 months learned alot(realy i would go with two 8ft - 2 bulb 80 watt cool white floro lights for each car the light energy dimishs the farther away or higher up its giong to be so use small chains to get it closer if you have a tall garage and hang them near the sides of the car maybe one right in front - you can go to any lighting suppy the 8ft fixtures with bulbs run 10-15 each and a small 2 ft one for work bechs are 5-10 each with bulbs. and if my post wasn't long enough MAKE SURE YOU GET light hoods .lighthoods make sure they point down insted of wasting light going to the roof and sides where you dont need it

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I put in 4 double 4 ft in-line the length of my garage on one side ( turn car around for side i am working on and it really does a good job. have individual control on each 2-buld band. note that you live in IN - buy cold rated flour.... for significant more light at 40 degrees and under - got mine at Home Depot.
also i used 40 watt bulbs and haave plenty of light.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts