Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened twice in the last week, I have a 99 GMC Burb with the GM security system. It would quit running and the little chirp for the security system would just go on and on forever, the truck seems like it has a dead battery, no lights, windows, locks, etc won't work. I've owned this truck for 2 years so I know how to start it and wait etc for the security system, so it's not an operator error, ok? Anyway, after a little while, it would start right up like nothing happened, no jumping needed. Anyone had this problem with this security system before? SWMBO got stranded today while I was golfing in her Jeep, so I really need to try and fix this one ;). TIA.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Is it still under warranty? THis happened to my 97 when it was 2 years old. Except while I got it to stop and was driving it to the dealer, the alarm went off and the lights were flashing, horn honking. Sounded an looked like I was going code 3! Turns out it was installed incorrectly, with the wiring All FUBAR'ed. It was covered under warranty. Every other symptom was the same. You may want to have the dealer check it out!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Besides the problem you are having now how do you like the burb?
I should be picking up my 95 Burb this weekend or early next week. Found it for a great deal before my friends dad traded it into the dealer. A loaded 95 without leather for $5000. Not a bad deal around here.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Love the Burb! They say once you own a burb you're hooked with big trucks, I don't doubt that, great truck! Not an SUV but a brute truck....the security key thing is the only problem I've ever had with it, 70K miles so far. I've got the 2500 burb, so I've got a little more horses. Good Luck, hope you like yours as much....

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Cheo, you mentioned a security key.... is it the ignition key with the chip on it? or the additional "key" that you have to insert or "swipe" in addition to the ignition? If it is on the ignition key, then it may be as simple as replacing the key. (the one on my camaro is like that, a PITA to replace at $30 a pop). If it is the Additional key, that unit itself may be the culprit. i just took mine out of my truck. Again, at 2 years, it may still be under warranty.

$5000?? excellent price!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts