Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While having lunch with a friend/business associate yesterday, he mentioned that his neighbor had purchsed and restored "a loud, old Ford race car" that he had purchased from "someone associated with it's development". After some more probing, I asked him if it was GT-40 and he said "yea, that's it".

The guy lives across the river from Cincinnati in Kentucky. My friend said he would see if his neighbor would be around next week when I'm back in town, so that I could see it.

He calls me this morning (5 minutes ago!) and says that not only is he going to be around, but that I can take it for a spin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is (suposedly, let me know if facts aren't straight as my friend is NOT a "car guy") a 302 that won Lemans in '69 or so after the governing body banned the 427. It is street legal.

My friend says it is loud as hell and that when the owner first started driving it around, someone called the cops on him. The police came out, checked out the car and declared it legal, based on the original build date of '67. They then took him up on his offer to take it for a spin.

Anyway, I'm pumped. I'll take some digital photos and get someone to help me post them.

He also said that this guy owns the name GT-40 and was negotiating with Ford to sell them the name.

How cool is this????

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
That guy is a certified nutball letting anyone and their grandmother drive it......

If it were mine I'd only relent and let SWMBO drive it as to avoid divorce!!!! anyone else, forget it!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Ever driven a car in the US with right-hand steering?

Let us know what happens.

jk

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Some guys have all the luck, I have to say this guys crazy letting anyone driving that car, but as long as he donsnt care have a great time and take lots of photo's.

Mark

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Yes, Jackie Icks won the 1969 Le Mans race in a 5L GT40

Car P/1075 is/was owned in 1997 by someone in Cincinatti, Ohio and was being restored to Le Mans specs.

Ref. Shelby American World Registry

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Dont forget to take some pictures. This sounds like a once in a lifetime event and you dont want to forget to take pics.
Also I am sure a lot of us want to see it, I know I want to!
(its not that we dont trust you but we love to see those kind of things)

·
Registered
364 Posts
WOW! Very cool! Reminds me of an old race car that I stumbled across at a local specialty/performance dealer back in the '80s. As I was driving by one day I noticed two Cobra roadsters in the showroom (nearly got whiplash) and quickly turned around to take a closer look. While I was drooling over the Cobras, one of the owners came up to me and asked if I'd be interested in seeing something special in the back. I could hardly restrain myself as we walked in the room and there sat a '70s vintage Mirage in Gulf livery. It had a small block Ford with Gurney/Westlake heads and induction and was right-hand steering. This car had been driven by Brian Redman and there was a file drawer full of documentation on it's history. The only major problem with the car was that the fuel bladders were rotted (common with these old racers). Price at the time was 200K. Needless to say I returned with a camera!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If that is the real car that won Lemans (actually the SAME car won it in 1968-69), it probably cost the guy several million dollars, as it would one of the most valuable ones of all. It would be serial # 1075. I got to ride in #1054 back at a SAAC convention at Pocono back in the 1988. One of my buds took some pictures here - http://www.gt350h.com/carphotos/gt40.html
http://www.gt350h.com/carphotos/gt40-54.gif

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
This is cool, I mean me lecturing about road legality in US, but I doubt they road legalised Le Mans race cars in the 60ies. I think 427 was still sanctioned in Le Mans in 1967. Mk1 were used again in 1968 and 1969 with 351W as quoted somewhere. And as said the winning car in 69 was 1075, probably the most expensive Ford ever. I doubt that it is the same. Nevertheless, whether it is Mk3 road car or even GTP-40 replica, I would be thrilled. To get some pre-excitement, check out
http://www.racecar.co.uk/gt40/ ] http://www.racecar.co.uk/gt40/ [/url]
There are some cool mpegs.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I see there are some doubters here (I have them as well!!), but I'll be sure and get numbers,photos and look ar docs as much as possible.

Whatever it is , it sounds intruiqing based on my friends description.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts