Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back home from my sister-inlaws husbands funeral John and Jeanie started going together in high school and got married 4 years later in 1972 had 3 daughters last one has 1 year of college two older ones are married. John worked for a company that offered the employees free physicals every year John got one every year. 5 years ago every thing was fine the next year his PSA level was off the chart. They removed his prostrate was cancerous. Every thing seemed to be going fine. Went in for checkup after 3 months found more cancer cells started chemo and radiation
treatments this went on for 3 years spreading to his hip causing extreme pain. When I seen him about 3 months ago he told me they wanted to remove his hip and leg, he told them no. We talked for quite a while that night while I stayed with him so my wife could get her sister away for a couple of hours of rest. He told me that he had hoped for remission even for a couple of years so possibly he could see some grandchildren hopefully a grandson him and my son were very close. He told me that night he had decided against any further treatments. That was 3 month ago he died saturday night and we buried him Tuesday he just turned 49 two weeks ago. So guys get checked out every year
so that may you'll get to see your grandchildren Prostrate cancer isnt just an old mans disease!!!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeah all of us guys should get checked out at least once a year. Lat year when i had my physical to play sports at school and my doctor told me that i should check myself once a month for lumps. And its the same for womens breast also!!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Good advice... AND be sure to insist on a PSA (prostate specific antigen) to be run on your blood sample when getting a physical. They don't routinely do it unless you insist. A false positive on the PSA is no big deal, but it will show a hazardous reading if you do have prostate cancer in nearly all cases. Make them do it! Early detection will save your life most of the time.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
this is one of those things thats so easy to put off. ill do it later. it cant happen to me! well it does. catch this stuff early and you got a fighting chance, wait to long and you have no chance at all. it got my dad. never any checkups,til it was to late. gave him about a year when detected. in 3 weeks he was dead and gone. dont put it off. JUST DO IT !!!!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Good advice. Dad is in the middle of treatments for his (he's 65) all prospects are good. The earlier the better as far as discovery of this killer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts