Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you walk on a 16' platform made from 3 2" x 6", 12" on center and 24" wide covered in 3/4" plywood, all screwed instead of nailed? Would it be rigid enough walk back and forth on while siding the second story of my garage? Should I use 2 x 8 instead? What ever I use/buy will become my workbench and shelving. I had originally ordered a set of Werner platoforms, but at 490.00 each and needing 2 of them, the cost was a bit out of touch for a 3 day job (I hope)and no future use ideas except to put up Christmas lights.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
If they were continuous 16' 2x6s with lateral buckling support in two equal spacings and boxed at the ends, I would. This is assuming you are supporting at the extreme edges of the platform.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, boxed at both ends and laterally braced at 4 foot intervals along the continuous 16' 2x6. Leave the bottom open or cover top and bottom?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
just covering the top should suffice

I should ask if its just goingto be you, or what else is going up there. 2x6 may be a little soft, it will hold you, if theres going to be more i would go 2x8.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Two word answer: "Think Rental Equipment." - OK, three words. Our local "Rentz-All" has scaffolding, and that is the option I intend to go next spring when siding the upper areas of the house.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will just be me. Chances are I'll just go with 2x8 just because I can make some really nice heavy duty workbench tops. :)

I tried to go the rental route, but I already own the pump jack system. I got overzelous. I tried to rent, but no one in the area (chicagoland) rents the 16' platforms to put on the system or they are all out until next year!, so I am forced to build my own. Regular scaffolding would not work, and a tower of the width I'd need to rent would be about 200 for the weekend, the wood would be less than 50 and still be useful when done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts