Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys - replaced some windows last weekend in the ole' domicile. Our exterior siding is the traditional board and bat covering with manufactured stone frontage. anyway - taking out the old windows I had to remove a bunch of the bat boards and misc. window trim. While doing this the trim nails damaged some of the masonite siding. Is there a specific product on the market for repairing & patching small nail holes in masonite ? The siding is in perfect condition, so I would like the finish to be just as equal. I was actually considering using some good old fashined bondo then priming the area and repainting. any suggestions ?

·
Registered
431 Posts
We just had our garage front covered in masonite - they just used a white compound - could it be joint compound?

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they may have used painters caulk on yours too. I dont want to use painters caulk as it shrinks over time (past experience). I used it to fill a hole were the P.O. of the house ran a phone line right thru the middle of the exterior wall and i didnt care for the "asthetic value" of the exposed phone line, so I removed the line, cramed the hole full with some steel wool and insulation, and then caulked the hole shut. I noticed later that the hole had a concave appearance now, as it has "shrunk" in.... so I dont want to go that route again!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I would not use bondo - the masonite expands and contracts significantly with hot and cold temperatures. Bondo is not flexible enough to withstand these extremes. Home Depot and Lowe's both have some flexible silicone-type caulking that should hold up well for this application. I patched some places at my old house a few years agoo that worked well. The other option (if you have a large hole or area) is a type of wood filler that will flex with the siding.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Yes - the silcone-type caulk is paintable - make sure you get one that is labeled paintable - some of them are not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts