Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed recently that something is dripping out of the exhaust on my Explorer when I park it. I got some on my finger - it doesn't have any smell (not gas?) and doesn't seem slippery or anything.

Can anyone offer a suggestion what it might be. I have 157,000 miles on the car.

Thanks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yeah, it's condensate, as in water. The black color is because of all the other crap in the system. Look closely at the muffler and you'll probably find a drain hole in one end just so this stuff can drip out. Ford actually has a spec to ensure the muffler can do this. In some cases syphon tubes are used to pull the water into the pipes if a drain hole is undesirable. (They make a sputtering noise that can cause complaints in some instances)

Believe it or don't, water vapor is a by product of combustion in an engine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What engine do you have? I ask because I have a 91 Explorer torn down with cracks in both heads-between the valves-of the OHV 4.0 V-6. After doing a lot of searching I found out this is common on both 4.0's-OHV and OHC. Keep an eye on your coolant level in case you have the same problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts