Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We decided to run up there yesterday afternoon to pull our trailer down off our land, seeing as the next canyon over is currently an inferno! On the way back we stopped by the river to watch the helecopters work, quite impressive! There were 3 smaller choppers dangling huge buckets into the river, but what was really impressive was one of those huge sky crane type helicopters with big water tanks (must have been several thousand gallons) and a snorkel hanging underneath. He'd hover over the river, dunk the end of the snorkel and fill those tanks in about 30 seconds flat. I can't imagine what kind of water pump it takes to do that sort of volume! All the while there was a big plane circling overhead. I'm guessing that was an airborne command center coordinating all the choppers and ground crews.

Anyway, I sure hope they get fire put out. Those firefighters sure have my appreciation and admiration, and my heart goes out to the family of the chopper pilot who lost his life fighting this blaze.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I was the Incident Commander on a fire last summer that was stopped at 100 acres with the help of one helicopter. Had we not had that one I think the fire could easily have gone to 1000 acres. He did a great job for us.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.