Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another note, I got in my Lord of the Rings DVD... this HAS to be one of the best looking and sounding DVDs ever. It kicks *ss.

The 4-disc SE in November should be even better, but I would highly recommend that everyone who REMOTELY enjoys fantasy to rent this film!!!!

Did I mention I liked it?

Steve

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Nah, best sounding DVD ever is definitely BULLITT /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
Got my copy a few weeks ago, can't stop watching the chase!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I'll be picking it up tomorrow. Just got done reading the Trilogy, the Hobbit and Similarion. Hobbit seems like a kids book compaired to the Trilogy. Similarion was about the hardest book I have ever read. Literally a thousand characters. Most of them die, very depressing.. Can't wait till Dec 19th for The Two Towers....How was the DVD Trailer?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I got bored the two times I tried to read the Similarion, then I gave up! I love the trilogy and Hobbit.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, The Hobbit WAS a children's book. LOTR started as a followup children's book, and very quickly developed into something much more powerful. It was his great friendship with fellow Don CS Lewis, and Lewis' pushing him, that got the book finished.

The Similarion was really a collection of background material that was never intended to be published. It just shows you HOW MUCH thought was put into the world and history of Middle Earth.

There is a TTT trailer on disc 2, which is more of a 10 minute preview with a fair bit of footage, but more background stuff.

If you have surround sound, check out the Balrog scene at about 2:07. It'll knock your socks off!

Steve

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I don't know, that Michael Flatley guy just doesn't do a thing for me. His feet flail in all directions, he's not human!!
Wait...
You did say LOTD? No?
Ohhhhhhh...... LOT*R*....gotcha...
Yup, great movie!!
/forums/images/icons/wink.gif
D

p.s. LOTD is the "Lord of the Dance", some irish dancers...riverdance...well, it was funny in my mind... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I guess my new Cowboy BeBop movie just won't hold a candle......so the tough choice is......do I buy LOTR FOTR now, or wait till the triogy is complete and buy the overpriced boxed set with weeks worth of viewing extras?

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
We went and saw Goldmember Sat eve and as the trailer for The Two Towers showed up, my 10 year old son absolutely freaked out (in a good way!). He is presently reading The Return of the King... It all started when I gave him The Hobbit as a birthday present a year ago (after he read all 4 Harry Potter books twice). He is definitely hooked...

By the way, Neither myself or SWMBO has his reading passion. We are both glad he's got it!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's your main choice Nick:

The current version has the entire movie on one disc (theatrical version), and another disc of extras. The November set has the movie extended by 30 minutes, broken up over TWO discs (presumably lower compression), and TWO discs of extra. But the theatrical version is not included.

I hate changing discs in the middle of a movie, and the extras I figured I'd watch maybe once. I do want to see the extra footage, though, so I figure that I'd by the theatrical version and borrow the extended version from friends later on.

Steve

·
Registered
105 Posts
I ordered a copy from bestbuy.com this weekend for $16 with a $10 gift card included for pre-ordering and free shipping. Don't know if this is still the case since I think the 'pre-order' period is over. Might be worth a shot if you are looking to buy.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The Silmarillion was really a hard read! Kind of Genesis for Middle Earth. Others are excellent though. I used to read all four every year in the fall.....ahh the vagaries of youth....

·
Registered
422 Posts
I remember reading "The Hobbit" when I was younger, I had no idea when I saw the movie that thoes guys were a take-off from the book, excellent movie, I bought my DVD last night, I like how they finally are coming out with the full screen versions of movies, I hate the widescreen versions, I coulent care less about what the director saw when filming, the black lines suck!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My friend, the future is WIDESCREEN. Even some TV shows are being filmed and broadcast that way. What your objection is, is that when you see a 2.35:1 widescreen movie on your TV, your 32" normal TV (19.2" vertical) has an image which is only 10.9" high! And I agree, it's annoying and difficult to see.

On the other hand, a widescreen TV with the same height would have an image 14.5" high (it's not the full 19.2" because widescreen TVs have a 16:9 ratio). Another common widescreen format, 1.85:1, matches the widescreen TV almost perfectly, whereas it would show those nasty black bars on a normal TV.

You are welcome to visit and see the difference. I think you would be converted.

Steve

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Lets' not forget to ask you how much you paid for your "widescreen TV" as oppossed to a "regular TV." Eh? It probably cost as much as my tuition to UC Davis for a year!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unless UC Davis is exceptionally cheap, no. I'm talking widescreen, NOT plasma (although I'd love to have a plasma TV, at $7-15K it's not worth it... but they'll come down eventually).

Hypothetical example: a 32" 4:3 has the same vertical image height as a 39" 16:9. You could get one like that (actually 43", slightly taller than a 35" 4:3) for around $1500 or a little more. Maybe twice as much as the equivalent 35". Certainly a luxury, obviously more expensive, but not hideously so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts