Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been pretty warm here for the last week and my frig quit working. I unplugged it to take a look at it, but i know nothing about them. When i plugged it back in it started working again. Two days later it quit again. Is this a simple fix or should i buy a new one?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I don't claim to be an expert, but a lot of fridges have a timer for the defrost cyce. The timer may be bad.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Have you vacuumed out the coils? If not, grab your vacuum cleaner, put the hose attachment on it, remove the cover (front and back) and clean those coils.

Once they build up dust the heat builds up and the frig will not be able to cool.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I will assume that you have a self-defrosting refrigerator/freezer combination unit. As mentioned if the condenser coil is at the bottom of the unit, the condenser fan draws dust, dirt, lint into the coils. Over time the condenser becomes plugged, air flow is restricted and the unit cannot cool the inside, refrigerated area. Use vacuum to clean the condenser coil. There is a mechanical timer on the refrigerator. About every 8 hours the timer disengages the compressor and turns on the heater coils near the evaporator for 10 - 15 minutes. This melts any accumulated frost. The melted frost / water collects in a pan at the bottom and probably around the compressor. After the 10 - 15 minute cycle the unit returns to normal operation where the compressor is allowed to engage and cycle appropriately to cool. If the timer is defective it will not defrost, frost accumulates on the evaporator, air flow is restricted, no cooling. Also the heater unit can break; it is just a wire filament that gets hot (there are heater wires in a toaster). In this case you need to use a volt-ohm meter to check for resistance. If there is no resistance in the heater, then it is open and needs to be replaced. If the timer works, the heater coils under the evaporator defrost properly, about the only other problem can be a refrigerant leak or compressor failure. If there is a leak or compressor failure, you will have to purchase a new refrigerator.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
The defrost heater in my freezer went bad and my whole refridgerator stopped working. Well, 1/2 of one heater went bad. That was replaced and it has worked ever since.

It was $175 to have that fixed, took about 20 minutes. The refridgerator was only 5 years old and cost close to 2K. The fridge in the basement cost me only about $350 more than 20 years ago and that one still works great.....Go figure.....

Buy the cheap stuff next time around........

Gary......::

1 - 5 of 5 Posts