Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning i headed off to the biggest motor store in the country (though the average US one would dwarf this place), figuring it would be the best place to pick up the necessary peices to fix a rust hole.

Things sort of went downhill the second i walked through the door. Dozens of FOUR LUG ALLOYS greeted me. Max sizes being 15" - i sure wouldnt find no TT2's or Cragars in here, as i pretty much knew already. Wow, they have tires here! Ah yes, they did indeed, if you were interested in wrapping some elastic bands around your 13" alloys, they have tires for you! No BFGoodrich Radial's here.

I quickly found the necessary rust inhibitors fibreglass filler, and continued on my journey around this......place. Oh look, neon. Yes, they had neon, and lots of it. I became very uncomfortable around it, and ran towards the paint section.

"lets see....Candyapple Red............."

Nope, none. Every shade of Toyota red, Nissan red......but , of course, no colours i recognised. They had a beautiful shade of illuminous orange, though i was too frightened to pick up the spraycan to find out what make this was designed for.

I walked on.............ohh dear....

Lined up on a bottom shelf, all neatly arranged - what i had first thought was a sewer drain selection - more fart pipes than i dared to imagine. I was now very very scared, and angry. Had i brought a small explosives device with me, i sure would have made use of it and rid this great planet of all these horrors.

I walked up to the counter - faced with more neon - paid and ran out.

And THIS is supposedly the BEST motor store Ireland has to offer.

Gary

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
The U.S. has more ricers than Ireland I'm sure...

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Yes, but in Ireland they are the vast majority. Hence, a part store catering predominantly to them. At least here we're still a big enough group to have the stores cater to our needs, too!

Gary, I feel for you, buddy! BTW, I'm coming over to Cork in late August, flying into Shannon. Can I bring you anything? NPD catalog, MU catalog, anything to make you feel less scared? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luckily Cal mustang, NPD & Summit regularly supply me with welcome catalog relief! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Just today (in another shop) i actually found a copy of the latest Mustang & Fords! I have to be the only irish person who buys this magazine who actually owns a Mustang! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Do you think you could fit a 390 block into a suitcase?./forums/images/icons/wink.gif......

Gary

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sounds like you stumbled into a Pep Boys over here. Last time I went into one all I wanted was plugs and wires for my daily driver. Kid wanted to sell me a sound system that rivaled any concert hall. Left without the plugs and wires and haven't been back since.

G

·
0 Posts
Hey Gary,
What kind of response does your red detroit beef get when you pull up in front of one of those places or anywhere else in the emerald isle for that matter? I'm sure it starts lots of conversations.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right now the only question i get asked is "do you ever drive it?" because it hardly ever leaves the front of my house (working on some electrical & minor rust problems)

But when it's taken out, it stops traffic. People 200 feet away turn around when they hear it, and stare..

I'm sure a UFO wouldnt get the kind of attention here this thing does. Last time i was out in it some guy in an old volvo kept speeding up to try and see it, and was rolling down his window while he was beside us to hear it - i was worried he was going to plow into the side of us!. It's never been on the road long enough to get any dramatic stories, but when i have it finished...../forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Never pulled up infront of one of those motor stores in it - but thats on my checklist /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Gary

·
Registered
553 Posts
yeah move to the US where you can find neon inside the fart pipes. yep that's right, i went to Advance Auto to grab some spark plug wires and there on the wall was a huge exhaust can with an even larger ring, then inbetween the two rings were various colors of neon. uhm how... cute. good thing i saw it at the auto parts store, cause i dont know about you guys, but i never really find myself having to look at the rear of that many ricers. although those xenon headlights do look real pretty in my rearview mirror. maybe they need all that hig-vis stuff so domestic cars dont accidentally run over top of them, actually maybe they all should have those reflective triangles like the farm tractors have. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Administrator
13,003 Posts
The one thing you have over us is a GREAT ACCENT!! (Except that you think WE have an accent, right??) Good luck!
Stan

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yeah, but could you buy a fake blower like on this bad boy ! The RICE-A-OMNI *LOL*

Grrrrrr I hate those Fart pipes !!!!

http://a6.cpimg.com/image/84/56/11303556-1e2d-02500188-.jpg

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I hope the ricer fad doesn't pass before I get my stang on the road in a few years, so I can smoke a few with my ride. Hey, have you noticed "Prisma Tape" is on the rebound?? Old stuff from my young days in '79. They had prisma tape then. Must be retro-tape now. I just don't know bout the fart pipes though.... Am thinking about dual coffee can exhausts with the neon illuminators in place of the GT trumpets on the stang. Instead of shelby stripes, maybe a splash of "fast and furious" deco on the sides. Well there goes my resto plans....hehe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts