Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking a look at a '65 Comet Caliente, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience, knowledge, etc. with this model or the mid-60s Comets. Please PM me or send an email (or just post here). I'm looking for info on what's good / bad about such a restoration / modification candidate, problem spots (rust areas, etc.), which parts are tough to get, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
65 Comets have a lot of the same parts as mustangs, as with most 65 Fords. The doors will swap with the 64. Sheet metal is unique to that year. Check Auto Krafters for most parts. Most parts are not as plentiful as mustang, but are not usually that expensive, as this is the off year for collecting. 64 & 66 are more desirable, so you shouldn't get in too deep, if you pick your parts sources carefully.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had a 4 spd vert in that year. Absolutely loved the car and wish I could find another. Unfortunately, it became one of those "drafted, must sell ads". As stated, many parts are interchangeable with the stang.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hey buddy: Itried to send you a link to Crites Performance, but, it bounced back...If you will send me an e-mail, I will forward you the link. They have some cool parts for the Comet...
My e-mail is in my Bio.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I have not worked on a '65 Comet, but having worked on Rancheros, Falcons, and Fairlaines, the best advice I can give you is for you to go ahead and spend $40 or so on a DECENT interchange manual (not the one by Herd).
This will save you much time and $$$ by being able to use many Mustang parts that are widely reproduced and less expensive. You can also get junkyard parts from station wagons and other vehicles that no one wants.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts