Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is working on a 1970 Dodge charger that had a 318/AT, the 318 was gone though, so he got a 78 1 ton dodge van with a 360/AT. The van tranny was bad, and we know the 318 tranny works. Is it possible to put mate the 360 with the 318 tranny. The TC from the van is larger than the one in the car. I thought 318/360 were the same externally. Is it possible the bell housing bolt pattern is the same, but the bell is larger to accomodate the TC. We would use the van tranny, but can't afford to fix it right now.

·
Registered
21,332 Posts
The truck TC most likely has a lower stall speed, hence bigger...it may also be a lock up unit too.

I'm far from being a MOPAR expert but I do know that their motors are externally balanced and instead of having the balance weight on the flywheel, they put it on the converter! I honestly don't know if the 318 & 360 you have, both use the same unbalance. This could grinds things to a screaching halt rather quickly.

·
Registered
981 Posts
the 360 motor is externally balanced,the 318 is internally balanced,he should pop for a new tc.the van transmission contains more clutch packs than the car tranny so it would be a good canidate when rebuilding.the bell housings are all the same for small block chryslers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts