Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a 80's VW Quantum and just recently lost power brakes so she has to floor the brake pedal to get the brakes to work. I'm not too experienced with brakes. I already checked the brake fluid, it's not low. It doesn't sound like there's a vacuum leak. What could be causing the failure? What should I look for? I know this is a Mustang forum, but any help is welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Though I am not an expert in this area, my experience tells me it is not likely the power booster, rather it is likley the master cylinder. The power booster merely assists the application of brakes by amplifying the pressure exerted on the brake pedal by the driver. If a power booster is not functioning the pressure on the brake pedal needs to be increased to stop the car but the pedal doesn't go to the floor. Maybe the master cylinder has an internal leak that is causing the pedal to go to the floor. While you're at it check the calipers, wheel cylinders, and rubber brake lines to make sure that none of them are leaking or swelling under pressure. Good Luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts