Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone noticed the mail has slowed to a crawl since the new rates went into effect..mail that normally takes 3 days is now taking 7-10..sheesh

G

·
0 Posts
Most people do not know that the US Postal Service is independently owned and is not a Federal service. That is why we never vote on the increase of postal rates. It is also against the law for any other company to carry the mail. This is a monopoly...and there seems to be nothing we can do about it. And they go after Microsoft for things like this and do nothing about the postal service!
Sheesh!!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Man, you can say that again. Makes you wonder whether postal rates would be higher if ran by independant companys, you know, no subsidies to offset the postal rates.

I have to praise UPS overall on their excellent service and price competitivness as compared to the post office. We ship many soil samples in the fall, and shipping them via USPO is outrageous compared with UPS.

Think how much money we have saved, posting through the internet rather than by mail, heheh LOL. A thousand post VMFr would go broke, shhesshh.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
The new rates are just crazy! Especially if you look at what the Priority rates have jumped up to in some areas! I finally started adding a source code to some of my auctions, where the bidder can type in their own zipcode and see exactly what their shipping on the auction is going to cost them! It has saved a lot of threatening emails of people thinking I was trying to rip them off on shipping cost.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
If you think independent companies would provide universal service at a fixed rate such as the Postal Service does, I've got a bridge to sell you.

The letter carrier goes by your address six days a week, whether or not you are to receive mail. Big companies would snatch up all the money making routes in the big cities and forget the suburbs and rural areas. Do you think Company A would forward your mail to Company B at no charge if you moved? How many different companies are you willing to allow in your mailbox? If a letter you mail can't be delivered, will you pay to have it returned to you? Do you think a private company will charge the same to deliver across the street as across the country?

The Postal Service is not perfect, but it is still the best and cheapest in the world. We deliver more mail in 1 day that UPS does in a year. And I won't even get into the hazards involved with processing billions of pieces of mail everyday.

It's where I work. And I'm proud of it!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hi fellow postal worker I am with you buddy. If these guys thank fed ex, ups, etc, etc. will deliver mail to every little house on the praire they are living in a dream world all these companies want is the gravy Robert

·
Registered
124 Posts
I won't make a comment on the Postal Service, but I know the price of stamps has not doubled in 10 years -- unlike my cable tv bill!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I do not work for the USPS but I posted here before that I have been impressed w/ their service as of late. Especially with Priority Mail. USPS hasn't missed yet, often delivering sooner than expected.

I know paying 0.37 for sending a letter or bill across town may sound expensive but what if it goes across country. Hard to beat that deal. People will shove $1.00 in the vending machine 3 times daily for a can of carbonated sugar water but why is 0.37 for mailing a letter so expensive ?

Also check out UPS' rates on their website. Throw in some zipcodes around the country for a 1 or 2 lb package and see what you get. I doubt it will be less than the USPS Priority rate for the same weight package. Plus they are open on Saturday.

Mstgjoe can I have a job now? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

If you want to ship larger & heavier cheaper than UPS try FedEx ground. But as posted above they as well as UPS may not go to every address.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Thats why politically oriented rants don't work on the forum. My apologies if my post came across as a post office blast. Too many people work too hard, and have sacrificed much at the PO to get the mail through, rain or shine. The anthrax mess last fall illustrates that. The post office has also had a very colorful history and is a rich icon of American past and present. I have nothing but respect for the men and women in the post office.

I do believe however, that free enterprise ran business tends to work more efficiently than some government business. We see this on the local level where the city contracts out construction projects and garbage pickup service for example. Affordable electricity provided by independant cooperative power companies are another example. The post office is too well established to for any proposals to privatize that service, IMO. I do know that UPS is considerably cheaper when shipping packages and I don't apologise for that. Keep up the good work guys.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
No offense taken.

My only point is that all the ramifications of a privatized postal system are seldom realized. Being on the inside allows me to understand how extraordinarily complicated a postal system is. If anyone thought the phone company breakup was bad, you could not imagine what the consequences of privatizing the Postal Service would be. But I can.

On behalf of myself and my fellow employees, thanks for the salute.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
In defense of the postal folks, the somewhat slower service is seasonal - it's vacation time. Same amount of mail, but 20-30% fewer people to work it for the next month or two. Good thing Christmas doesn't come in the summer (at least in the Northern Hemisphere !)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts