Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're headed to the greater bay area on Friday and plan on joining in with opentracker and roadracer for Sunday's events at the Monterey Historics. On Monday of next week, we're headed to Petaluma, to spend a few days with a long time college buddy. Should I make reservations on the Wine Train, or just pay at the door?

Also, what else should we do/see?
Presently, I've got the following on my list of things to do:

1) Sears Point (duh)
2) Drink beer and get stinkin drunk with my buddy (duh #2)
3) Ferry trip from Larkspur to SF and tootle around
4) Angel Island day trip/hike
5) Napa Wine Train
6) Point Reyes National Seashore

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
If you do the wine train, spend the extra $$$ for the champagne vista car. You get up on the higher level, and get a super lunch (tons of food, so don't eat in advance). ::

Point Reyes is good...you could go to Bodega Bay from Petaluma and tool around...go east or north from Petaluma and cruise around in wine country (during the week's great, because you won't have too many weekend el touristo's...) Trust me, you'll have fun no matter what you do. And bring sweaters/sweatshirts.... :p

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
As of the 6:00 O'clock news tonight, the weather forecast for the weekend includes 90+ degrees in the north bay area with slight cooling on Monday. Then again those weather guys usually just guess about such things so come on up and take your chances.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
The wine train is great fun, I have most of out of town guest go on it, somedays tickets are not easy so I would call asap, Bill is correct upgrade to Cham. car worth the money.

If your taking ferry anyway why not go to Giants game I think they are in town next week because Iam going on Wendsday I think, Pac bell is really worth seeing even if baseball not your favorite pastime.

Searspoint is alot of fun, one thing when you go in gate tell them your going to Griggs to shop mustang parts that way no charge and once in can check out all the shops there, also Russel driving school will be going full bore. If you get hungry for lunch at Searspoint go up 121 about 3 miles and have lunch at Vaniessa Viery the chicken is very good and nice view.

Iam only about 10 minutes from track maybe we could hook up and BS alittle if you like PM if interested and I will give you contact info etc.

Mark

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Mark! I'll PM you with contact info. Sears Point sounds great as well as the resturant!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
If you have time, try Alcatraz. Very interesting history and great views on a sunny day. Also Yosemite is good. If you go that far east, skip the wine train and take the dinner train out of Oakdale CA. Same elegance as the Napa train, but much more scenic. There are excellent wineries in the area and it is not as crowded or costly. PM me for more info.

·
Registered
858 Posts
ull love it, the drive is great thru the wine country and its beautiful, i love the area...plus ull see ALOT of expensive cars and muscle cars lol...also...when going thru the country....roll up ur windows....ull smell plennnnnty of cow crap lol :p just ask mytoys....right mark? lol

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
When in Monterey go to Cafe Fina good ambiance and the food is good.
where will you be staying in Monterey? I'll be in the area this weekend....

Just got back from Bodega Bay yesterday....SWMBO and I had a nice
picnic for lunch and after trail hiking, we went for some grub at the Sandpiper....very good chowder....and the rest of the entrees were great!! One of the better places to eat at Bodega is right across from the gas station....but be prepared to spend some...

Now for food in Petaluma, go to Chunkie's taqueria and get anything with their carne al pastor (BBQ pork) they are on sonoma mtn parkway (next to G and G foods) not a fancy place, but the food never disappoints

As far as the train I would recommend the train upgrade....quite worth it...

::

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
If money is no object, how about French Laundry, Yountville. Oh, we stopped there two years ago, lovely place (and the truth is: but unfortunately decided that $120 for lunch is a bit steep and later on read from some gourmet mag that it was rated 3rd best in US.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts