Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time I happened to catch an episode of "Southern Choppers". I was flat out amazed at how similar the 2 shows were! From short dead lines, to vendor problems, shop employees goofing off, fouling up, yelling and screaming and so on. It was as though the scripts were the same, just the names changed.

What I can't understand are the short dead lines. It always seems to be the magical 2 weeks. WTF, these guys know waaay in advance when the show is, why not start earlier? Am I missing something??? *LOL*

K

·
0 Posts
Its produced entertainment. ::

OCC started it and it works because they are family. The rest imitating (Boyd, SouthernChop and the rest) its a business trying to act like a family.

·
Registered
471 Posts
:)its all in the script but i have to say that occ blows the others away. ::

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,620 Posts
I don't get the deadlines either. In the shops I've worked in the deadlines were "have the busted race bike fixed by Saturday or our rider stands to lose X amount of points". Many a repair was made in the trailer while going down the highway too. The deadlines were "practice" and on more than one occasion "qualifying". These deadlines I understand.
"Show" bikes I've had to do with were built... to be built. Once the builder was tired of looking at them they went to a show. With a price tag attached. Of course I've never worked at a shop where any of the customers were multi-millionaires either. Customer's bike work tend to go along the lines of "we're not touching it until you bring us some more money" and sit around gathering dust.
Maybe we're doing it wrong, but since getting out of racing the bike business sure is a lot more enjoyable.
The only time everybody goes into high gear is when you get somebody off the road who is trying to get somewhere and had something break. Everybody is pretty much going to wait on their stuff and knows it ahead of time.
Our shop has a trade in the works with another shop. The deal is we will rebuild a basket case Triumph and they will trade us an unrestored Norton. The deal has been in place for about 5 years. I got bored once and bead blasted the Triumph's engine cases. The only work done to it as far as I know. Nobody involved seems particularly concerned about when the deal will actually take place.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I don't understand what OCC actually makes, i rarely see them do anything other than weld a few pieces of flat sheet metal. I don't really think they know how to make bikes, just assemble other people's work.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,620 Posts
Well, they're not quite THAT bad. We had a fresh bike come in the other day for a minor repair that we called a "catalog" bike. Not a single Harley part there, all aftermarket, all bolt-together. The only "custom" part was the paint job. Other than that you could sit down with a catalog or two , a hefty credit card, simple hand tools and build yourself an exact duplicate.
On the positive side, a Harley dealer mechanic said that he believed this catalog bike likely consisted of almost twice as many "Made in the USA" parts than a current factory Harley does. Many new Japanese bikes are near duplicates Harleys, Harley parts are made in Japan..what's the world coming to? :p

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am glad to see that others out there have the same opinion that I do about all of these shows. It all started with monster garage and that Jessie James guy (who I hate) and now there are like 10 shows where they build something and argue about it the whole time. The shows would have been entertaining if they actulay had more than 10% of the show where they actulay were working. They always show them arguing or throwing stuff and then they take these little trips that have nothing to do with what they are building like to go ride go karts. These shows have become a soap opera with large hairy men with welders instead of the usual atractive young women.

K

·
0 Posts
Its a hobby that became a business for them. Main money maker is still ironworks, fences/gates and such.
I still have respect for the old man since they all aren't driving MBs or Porsches. Jr splurged on a Prowler and SR bought Mikey a old AMC Matador beater. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts