Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy, that's what I love about this site and what makes it so great, are the permitted uses of O/T's!

Anyway, the local Lowes by me has a Cub Cadet tractor for sale. I forget the exact model but it's a higher end model. It has a 17 hp Briggs OHV, 42" cutting deck and a hydrostatic shaft drive, not belt driven. It appears that someone bought it and returned it. I'm guessing it has 1 lawn cutting under it's belt (pun intended). The hour meter has 3 hours on it.

It's being sold "as is", meaning what's there is what you get along with the warrenty. Lowes is asking $2,100. for it. I believe this one normally sells for over $3,000.

What do you know of Cubs and what do you think of the price? I was thinking of buying one next year but I can get 0% interest for 1 year. That's what is making it tempting. Plus I like the idea of the driveshaft instead of a belt. TIA. ::

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I just went shopping for lawn tractors. I bought a Murrey because it was all black like my Grand National. :: Actually, it was all I could afford right now. ::

Anyway, for that price you can buy a John Deere at Home Depot with Hydrostatic and a 17hp engine. That's the route I'd go. Plus it comes with a warrenty. 2100 is a lot to throw away if you buy a junky lawn tractor.

James

·
Registered
612 Posts
Cub just went through a big change and cost cutting process to be more profitable - the main issue for me is they went to a mostly Kawasaki engine setup. I grew up with them and they were fine, but I wouldnt want one now. Like others said, HD has the John Deere for similar price and I know the quality hasnt changed. My neighbors all have gone to Simplicity, and swear by them, so thats what Im looking to get....

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I have a Cub Cadett 2145, it's about 5 years old... Mine is an oddball, it has an Onan engine but no problems with the engine whatsoever! I've had to replace the blades a couple of times, put tubes in the front tires, replaced the mowing deck casters once, a battery, and a blade spindle when I attempted to mow a brick! :eek:

Mowing deck has Timken tapered roller bearings instead of sealed ball bearings. Can be lubed from above.

Above average workmanship, top quality!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Its funny how this thread went from Cub Cadet to John Deere.
I know that the Cubs had problems a few years ago. Our day
care provider had one. Nothing but problems. But they wouldn't still be around if they hadn't fixed the flaws (I would guess). I have a Cub my grandfater bought used in 1971 that still works fine, but I did just bye a Deere. I bought it because I was afraid of the Cubs. The one I knew of might have been a lemon, but I never heard of a John Deere lemon. And I wanted one that would last as long as my other one.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Goatholes mentioned Simplicity.

I have my Grandfathers 1964 Simplicity Broadmoor. It has the most beautiful cut I've ever seen. Its a rider with something like a 28" cut. I used it till I got the cub with a 44" cut. 44" save a lot of time :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Mark, You beat me to it. We have a JD. They are great! The resale on them is awsome too. Dawn

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Cubs are good tractors. John Deere makes a great tractor, but the ones at Home Depot are junk in comparison. It's sorta like buying a new Ford Jaguar, compared to the old ones.

My local John Deere dealer (of course, he is in competition with HD), Deere has lowered their standards and quality of parts to compete in the price range of all the mass merchandised tractors.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Cub Cadet. I currently have a Bolens 12.5hp, and a new Simplicity 14.5hp.
Both great machines.

Maybe you can strike a better deal, if they're motivated.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Present day cubs are junk IMO!! MTD owns the cub cadet name and pretty much destroyed the Cub name peddling stuff that isnt much bettr than a wal mart model..Theyre currently doing the same to Troy Built. Its all about the mighty$$$$$$$.. The JD's are nice machines and are available at your Deere dealer for the same prices as Home Depot ( By contract) Please buy from your deere dealer, youre supporting the little guy rather than a big corporate chain. Remember that big corporate chain doesnt have a service dept and most dealers will take care of their "regular customers" first.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Opinions are great! I bought a Cub Cadet 1250 with 44" mower deck brand new in 1977. Still a great quality machine.
I bought another one, model 782 in 1982 with 44" mower deck. A great quality machine also. Good luck on your selection.. :: :: ::

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Bought a L300 John Deere from Home Depot & got the 12 months free financing& it is working great. ::

·
Registered
238 Posts
For $2100 you need to examine the Cub Cadet lawn tractor closely. Are there wheel bearings in the front wheels or just plastic bushings? Look at the belt drive for the blades. Murray lawn tractors are cheap because the manufacturer doesn't spend money on bearings, belts, etc. like John Deere does on their equipment. But JD cost a lot more. If you don't mind parts wearing out sooner and you are handy in repairing and replacing, then a cheaper Murray is probably OK. But don't spend more money for a Cub but end up with a Murray and high maintenance.

·
Registered
20,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was talking with a good friend of mine who's also thinking of buying a tractor. He told me the same thing about HD's DJ's. That the ones HD sell are specially made by JD and are not the same as the JD dealer units.

I was at the Harford fair in Susquahanna county, PA, and was looking at the JD's and were wondering why they were more money. Now I know why!

On the Cub I was looking at, I liked the driveshaft for power transmission rather then a V belt. It appeared to be a well made lawn tractor. But it's not a done deal, still looking. I do like the JD's though.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have a 1974 John Deere - model 140. It has a 14 HP Kohler engine. I've been cutting 2 acres of lawn with it since I got it. It just keeps running, and running and running. Looking at stuff John Deere makes today, is nothing like how this thing is made. Everything is cast or heavy steel with bushings and bearings. Nothing to throw away, everything is rebuildable.

Tom

·
Registered
33,859 Posts
FYI, I bought my Poulan Pro 18hp B/S Intek full pressure lube w/filter, 42" deck, gear drive at Sears this time last year. Paid $999. Has been absolutely TOPS! Company also makes Craftsman and Husqvarna. Cast front axle with zerks, simple to maintain too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts