Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1983 Merc Marquis with the 302 and A O D trans.
Fluid in trans is a clean and red. The car only has 64,000 real miles on it and was driven by a elderly couple in town only. The problem is when you put it in any forward gear, it will not shift out of low range. It was a half quart low which I added and it didnt make any differance. Is it possible that the filter and fluid need to be changed? Maybe a vac line of some sort is plugged or off? Anybody have this problem??? Thanks for any help... ::

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
First and foremost, make sure that the TV cable (or rod) is adjusted correctly. If it's not, the transmission will not shift and you can deep fry the tranny REAL quick.

I doubt it's as simple as a plugged filter, but it IS a possibility. I just haven't seen a transmission yet that had that plugged of a filter.

I had a somewhat similar problem with my AOD after putting a B&M Transpack shift kit in it. It wouldn't shift out of 2nd. I finally found the problem to be a stuck 2-3 accumulator (the 0-ring for the 2-3 accumulator that comes with the Transpack is incorrect and "locks up" the accumulator. This accumulator isn't used in 1st gear, though, so doubt that's your problem.

Do you have reverse?

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey...I found my problem. The rod end bushing deteriated and the arm to the carb linkage just feel off!!! $2 fix!!! Dang what luck...YEA.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts