Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok , heres the deal. I'm 17, sister is 19. She's going back to college tommarow so today my parents went out and bought her a car. Oh cool nice parents you might say. Well heres why I'm pissed. 3 years ago they'd bought my older brother a car to use to get to school 90 something Cavalier. Well when he went off to college at teh end of the year my sister got to use it to get herself to school. The idea was that it woudl be mine when I got my lisence. Well the summer before she leaves for her first year of college she kills the car. I don't mean she wrecked it. I mean she drove it without coolant. Cracked the block. Well that doesn't bother her because as she tells me " I'm going off to college so I don't need the car anymore". Well this leaves me to scrap and save for my own car. Well I bought the mustang, however I had to sell it the begining of this summer due to budget problems. My parents gave me no help buying a new car. But I did. So what do they do, they go out and buy her a 95 Mazda 626. They keep telling me that it their car, and that she only gets to use it cause she needs it, but she already refers to it as her car no matter how many times they've told her it is't. I mean this really bothers me that they would do this after she proved that she couldn't keep a car alive. ARGHH I really think this is crap. Anyways needed a vent.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I am sure they will end up getting you one when you go to college. Look at the big picture, you are already better prepared for life than your siblings because you already how to work hard, live on a budget, buy what you need, and live through giving it up when you know you can't afford it anymore.

I know alot of people that ultimately declared bankruptcy because they didn't know how to do this, and you learned it before you moved out.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
John,

I'm glad you have the VMF to vent to. But, here is the reality:

You may not be the only one with budget problems. Sounds like your folks have 2 kids in college, and maybe a couple screaming for cars. Been there, done that. It costs a lot of money for college, and that is where their priorities lie. Rightfully so. They don't owe you a car. They don't owe you an education, but sounds like they are busting their butts to provide an education for their kids. If you want a car, get a job. Get 2 jobs, do whatever is necessary. Your folks are strapped, so help them out. I don't know their financial position. If they can afford college for 2 kids and cars for all of them, then there's another reason you and your brother aren't driving daddy's car. Whatever that reason is, I still support your parents. I have had a car since age 16, and nobody ever helped me out, let alone give me one.

So, that is MY vent on kids who think their parents owe them a car, with no regard for their numerous liabilities. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok just to clear that up. My parents don't owe me a car. Its not that they didn't buy me a car, actually they already did, its that she killed it, and then they bought her another one.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
just remember who gets to choose rags vs. depends when they are under your care.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I can empathize. I went through a similar thing with my brothers and, at 18, sounded just like you.

Sometimes parents aren't exactly even-handed. They have to make judgement calls and put their resources where they see the greatest need. So, fairness may be a luxury they can't afford.

At 50, I now realize (because my Dad pointed it out about 10 years ago) that my parents knew I'd find a way to take care of myself. So they used their limited resources on my brothers because they felt my brothers needed it more. Time has pretty much proven that they were right about our respective capabilities.

Learning to do things for myself while learning that life isn't always fair gave me a good start and made it possible for me to provide my family with a very nice life. Looking back now, I know that I wouldn't want it to have happened any other way.

·
Registered
858 Posts
oh c'mon CRY ME A RIVER man, my parents didnt buy me a car, my dad didnt get a car from his parents, we both had to EARN ours and work for it...trust me, if u buy the car w\ur OWN $, ull appreciate it alot more rather than ....."oh my daddy bought me a car, if i wreck it..oh well, i can get another!"
which makes me mad because my friends....her brother has a 95 RX7 w\the sequintal turbos....and she's going to get a new car too, something maybe like a denali....ugh...theyre nice people and good friends...but spoiled people like that really tick me off...hell i could buy an older cobra right now...maybe like a 98....but id be doing alot of payments outta my rear... :p lol.....just work ur @ss off...then ull be able to get something good....thats what i did ::

1 - 10 of 10 Posts