Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to Lexington. Does anyone know if there is anything of interest to get off the interstate for? I know this is Vette country. I've seen what appears to be the assembly plant from the interstate last time I was through. But, I also remember seeing a sign for "Holley" products. Is their headquarters close to the interstate? Do they have anything of interest like a museum, or a store (Holley carbs at factory outlet prices! Woo-Hoo!)?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I beleive the road is called William Natcher Pkwy now. I live about 40 minutes from there. Across the river though...you know in that better state (indiana) hehe :: I cant really think of anything to stop in bowling green for!! good luck though

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, but I am going to be going on a highway called the Bluegrass Parkway, just north of Elizabethtown. I don't believe it's a toll road though.
I thought about showing up for the Bowling Green Corvette assembly plant tour in my Carrol Shelby '65 Championship Cobra shirt. ::

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I'm a dedicated Mustanger, but just as nutty about Corvettes, currently owning my fourth, a '78 Pace Car. Don't miss the chance to tour both the Corvette Museum as well as the GM Plant. They are within spitting distance of each other. Both are very interesting and well worth the time.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I haven't been to the Corvette museum but I wouldn't mind. Like you, I've seen it from I-65 many times but never stopped. There's always Mammoth Cave, Abe Lincoln's birthplace, Fort Knox and the Patton museum.

Most of those parkways were toll roads 15 years ago when I traveled them regularly, but most of the toll booths are gone now.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I work in Lexington and live about 20 mins south of the city. The Corvette Museum is the only thing out there, but I have never been to it. I've heard it's pretty cool if you like that sort of thing (i.e vettes) :p

The BG Parkway is not a tollroad but it is straight as can be and alot of it is 55mph. Jus like they say... "I can't drive 55" ::

·
Registered
383 Posts
I use to live just north of E-town and even hit a 23pt buck on the bluegrass parkway. That is the fastest way to lexington even though it drops you off in Versalles. Back to the questions that you had about bowling green. The corvette museum is supposed to be nice; I have never been. Mamoth caves which is has the larges cavern in the world the second largest is in Austrlia. I have been to the one in Austrlia but have never been to Mamoth caves. Just off the BG Parkway is the boyhood home of Abraham Lincoln but there really isn't that much to see. As far as Fort Knox is concerned now it's really hard to get in plus it is way out of your way to go there. I still do a lot of driving through that area and will be heading to KY tonight myself but to the other side of the state.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts