Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you tow your vehicals, I was wondering your opinion on what is the best type of electronic trailer brake controller? I have a 91 truck and won't be using the trailer enough to learn from trial/error. I have been researhing controllers and have found there are a few different types. The main ones being time-base braking and inertia based. Then there is electronic and pendulum controllers. If anyone has used any of these on an older truck with rear ABS please help me out with an opinion.
Thank you all, Neil

PS: Trailer has electric brakes.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I don't have an older truck (mine is a 2003 F150) but I'm using a time-based controller from Draw-tite. It's adjustable and has a push-in switch that allows you to activate only the trailer brakes to control sway.

I've found it easy to use and it doesn't take much to figure out where to set it for each tow load. If this one will work on your truck, I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I have a Tekonsha (sp?) Commander... Doesn't have all the bells and whisles of the more expensive controllers but does have a manual override so you can apply the trailer brakes and not the brakes on the towing vehicle.
A series of red LED's light up as brake are applied... A green LED shows the brakes are hooked up.... Works great!

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I prefer the inertia style trailer brakes (trailer brake master cylinder is incorporated into the trailer tounge). They are very simple and very effective. I have towed numerous cars and boats with this setup using both my 49ford as well as my wife's durango.

My $0.02 :)
jer

·
Registered
491 Posts
most of the RV guys like the Prodigy brake controller.
Todd

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Sorry Neil - just re-read your post and see that you already have electric brakes on the trailer. Please disregard my post. Sorry. jer

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have the Voyager from NAPA and it is an inertia type. It has a green lite to indicate hookup, duel sensitive settings, manual override bar and LED lite with brightness for brake setting. Is made in the USA and has a 5 year limited warranty. Runs about 90 dollars.....Daryl

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I run the Tekonsha Voyager on mine to lug the 5th wheel around. It is a combination that uses inertia as well. Works great!

·
Administrator
19,503 Posts
I bought mine at a U-Haul store a number of years ago and it works great. It has the U-Haul name on it but I don't know who made it. It has the LED lights, adjustable braking force, and a button to apply only the trailer brakes, if needed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
stay away from the pendulum type, they are required to be mounted horizontally, and are sensitive to angle changes if your knee hits it and tilts it up. use an electronic one, easier to use

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I tow with both my pickup and my RV and have the electric setup . The surge ones as you most likely know are no longer allowed in some states and Provinces.The u nit I have, name sort of left me right now, has all the adjustments right at your fingers.You can adjust to have more or less braking to the trailer depending on what you are hauling and the weight of it.This helps cut down on trailer swaying and makes slowing down a lot easier .More control with any hard braking as well.
Don

1 - 12 of 12 Posts