Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cam across a 79 or 80 Trans Am that was for sale this morning (can never tell these 2 years a part), It supposedly runs good, has the honeycomb rims, air vents in the front fenders, RamAir hood scoop, spoilers (front & back), the interior was in decent o.k shape (needed door panels) and the radio was missing, also had tilt wheel, PDB, P/S, a/c, Tilt wheel, in-dash tach and a clock in the other guage cluster, center console, automatic. Has been repainted with what looks like a cheap paint job. Don't know what size the engine is. Couldn't tell you if it was a SE or Anniversary model, etc. since it has been repainted and all decals have been removed.

Is it worth the $400 bucks the guy is asking for it? The car has Texas plates on it, so maybe he can't get it smogged here in CA. thus the reason so cheap? Or maybe, they just really aren't worth much period? So is it worth $400?

I was thinking of buying it to part out, but don't know what the market is on the parts, or possibly do some of the needed repairs and resell for a little more $$.

Anyone know of a good T/A forums around?

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,754 Posts
Sure it's worth it. I would rather have the '78 400, but for $400.00... I'd beat on it for a while and sell it to a GM enthusiast.

IMHO, I think the late '70's - early '80's, 'last of the "muscle" cars', are the next to be collected by the 30+ year olds who owned or wished they had owned one back in High School. At $400.00 I can't see the price has anywhere to go but up.

·
Registered
771 Posts
nice cars to beat on, it would eithger have the 6.0 400 engine with a shaker or 301 5.0 with no shaker but they are good cars to beat on

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
If you were to fix it up as original..... the bird on the hood alone costs around $600.00!

G

·
If the fenders are not rusted out and also the common rear frame from the differential to the rear bumper then It is a very good buy. They came with the 400c.i. (fast and rare), the 403, or the 305 engine. Parts are wildly available in the Jeg's catalog for engine parts, NPD also offers a TA catalog and some others I cannot remember. THe front end of the car usually is solid (little rust little problems) unless it was in an accident.

The most accurate free price guide I found is www.vmrlint.com/cctm/coll_frame.htm whic rates the car in restorable condition at ~$1000.

Rear disks brakes mean the special WS6 handling package, and the honeycomb rims, if in good condishion should fetch $200-$400 the set.

I know to much about TA's...

-jake

G

·
1979 was the last year for the Pontiac 400, and they were ALL 4-speeds. The fact that this car is an automatic tells me it's the more common and less powerful Olds 403 or the gutless 301 (Only a limited number of Pontiac 400's were left in '79, about 2,500 units I believe, most of them went into 10th Anniv. and SE cars. The last-year '79 production 400's were fitted with a hotter camshaft than '78, and were Pontiac's ceremonial "last blast" for the 400). For their time, the '79 400-4spd T/A was a high-14's 1/4 mile car, which was the quickest U.S. made machine you could buy, even quicker than the L-88 Vette). If it has 4-wheel disc brakes, it's a WS6 car. You can tell if it's a special edition if the engine turned metal panels on the dash are GOLD in color. If they're silver, it's not an SE. The 10th anniversary car has a unique bright silver leather interior that you would have noticed like a sore thumb. It's probably a run-of-the-mill 403-4V automatic T/A, and if it's solid and all there it's easily easily easily worth four bills. The WS6 cars are UNREAL handlers, great road cars. My father has a 400-4spd Special Edition that he's owned since new and is still low-mile and mint. It's simply a great driving car, I've always had a real soft spot for them.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
A common set-up in '79 was a 301 2V carb with auto trans. Not a lot of aftermarket parts for it. Pontiac was still taking advantange of the movie "Smoky and the Bandit". OK cars in their time but not great. Calling the run of the mill Firebird a T/A WS6 is like calling a common 70 302 Mustang a Boss 429. Sure they look the same at a distance but their very different beast. Anyway, it is your $400, do what makes you happy. If labor is free then you should make a profit.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It did have the silver dash panel, but the interior looked as if it was reupholstered at some time in it's life, as it doesn't match the door panels, and the pattern doesn't look like ones I've seen in books, it was done nicely though. I forgot to check to see if the rear had disk, and never got to look under the hood this morning, as I was working.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Charles,

This isn't a project for me, just an avenue to make a few bucks to help support my other projects. I would love to hang on to it for later, but like you said, I have to many other projects to finish before I start another one.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If there was ever a man born to run a junk yard its you. All you need is 10 acres, an old school bus to use as an office/show room, a cutting tourch and a sign. Your ability to find so many deals, your love of another mans trash. You really could make a living at it, the only thing that would stand in your way is your inability to part with anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts