Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there have one of these things? Im trying to find out if they are worth the money. Ive seen some of the tent-like ones and some of the big metal ones.I think the metal ones are probably too expensive for me, but some of those tent things are only $500 or so. I need somewhere to keep my car outa the rain and somewhere to work on it. Any opinions/information you guys have would be great.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
If you choose the tent like route make sure you get one with a very good anchor system. I looked into these and some of them have a 5 foot long screws that will anchor it into the ground and keep it safe in most severe thunderstorms.

James

·
Registered
989 Posts
I just ordered one to put my new 2002 Trans Am Convrtible in because we won;t be driving it much for awhile and I am out of garage space. I ordered mine from a guy I found on the internet called Shelter King 1-813-767-0762 his name was David. It is a 12x20x8 with front and rear doors and anchors all for $684.00 including shipping to me in Mesa, AZ.

So far I haven't receieved it (3 week delivery) so that's all I can tell you about it so far. Except that I have been charged for it. HA

More to come later or call me in a few weeks if you like.

Doc the moneymanager
Mesa, AZ 1-480-641-9361

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
Colleague of mine just bought a 12x20x8 with ends and roll up door at BJ's Wholesale club, but imagine Sams, Costco, etc. have them too. Paid $269. Seems pretty rugged and took 2 of us a morning to put up. Has anchors, and it hasn't blown away yet, but some heavier ones wouldn't hurt. The only thing I'd recommend is that you make a "floor" with a few inches of sand, rent a small compactor and pack it down well, then cover with a 12x20 tarp, then put up the structure.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just ordered one to put my new 2002 Trans Am Convrtible in because we won;t be driving it much for awhile and I am out of garage space. I ordered mine from a guy I found on the internet called Shelter King 1-813-767-0762 his name was David. It is a 12x20x8 with front and rear doors and anchors all for $684.00 including shipping to me in Mesa, AZ.

So far I haven't receieved it (3 week delivery) so that's all I can tell you about it so far. Except that I have been charged for it. HA

More to come later or call me in a few weeks if you like.

Doc the moneymanager
Mesa, AZ 1-480-641-9361
Costco has them in (the one at Arizona Avenue and Baseline) has the 12x20x8 one that i have in my backyard again for $269. It's held up great even in the monsoons!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do the ones you bought at costco have 4 sides and a door? Or is it one of those things that just has a top on it?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
uG... I need to read the posts more carefullly. That was a stupid question ::. Thanks for the help guys. If anyone else has info, keep it coming.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The guy I purchased my car from had one of these he dis-assembled my (his) car in. It was tight quarters and hard to see in without a lot of light. I would imagine a brighter color interior would be nice and some sort of floor would be good too...I think he used plywood (ever use a creeper on plywood?). I do remember his Zip closed doors had rusted zippers and had to staple his doors closed. He also used some 1x4 and such as bracing for the hard rains. The car spent some eight years inside the "denim barn." Not too shabby for a $400 garage thing-a-ma-bob.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea. Well the surface wont be a problem. I already have the car on a huge concrete slab that we dont use for anything, so i figure ill use a hammer drill to put the anchors into the cement. I hope they have these things at the Costco's in CA!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Mine is from Sam's - 12x20x8...parked my old pickup in it through the winter, and it was a bad winter this year in New England. I had it tied down and after each big storm I went out and got the snow off the roof. It did fine. I'll use it again this winter. Only problem is the elastic holders are all stretched out so I have to get new ones. I paid $200 for it with all the sides. I bought a 10x20x8 at BJ's Club for $180 with all the sides. If you plan on working in it, you may want the 12x20x8 instead of the 10x20x8. Guy(NH)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Do the ones you bought at costco have 4 sides and a door? Or is it one of those things that just has a top on it?
It has the top and 4 sides with one side having a wide zipped door. It's been great. I've noticed the costco's in CA have iff stuff than here in AZ. But i think you may be able to special order one through your costco though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts