Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my computer has two usb ports in the back, but when i tried to install the driver software for my hp 6110 all-in-one printer/fax/copier/scanner it told me there were no usb ports. i checked the device manager and, sure enough, they are not there. i tried to configure it through the add new hardware box in the control panel, but i have no way of knowing what make or model the usb device is. could any of you guide me through getting this thing to recognize the usb ports? also, there are two ports side by side. if it recongnizes one, will it automatically see the other? or do i need to do the same thing twice? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The only answer I have is if it recognizes the one, I'd assume it would recognize the other as well.

I'd recommend you subscribe to Anandtech and post this question in their General Hardware forum. The help there is VERY fast and usually very good. I've built 4 computers with the guidance I received at that site.

Good luck.

Derek

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Windows 98 Second Edition should have them running , if it's windows 95 or the 1st version of 98 they won't be on . There is a file ... Im trying to remember thats on your windows CD that will allow them to function . You may also have to enable them in bios . If your running 98 SE or up they should be recognized so it would be pretty good to bet they are off in bios .

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's windows 98, but i'm not sure if it's the first or second edition. it's been a long time since i've messed around with bios settings (since i quit running dos). could someone give me a crash course on how to do that?

·
Registered
966 Posts
You can figure out your version of 98 by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties. The version should display in the center box. FYI - doesn't apply to you, though - NT didn't support USB until MS moved to Win2K and XP.

·
Registered
262 Posts
enter the bios during the init boot as soon as screen comes on you will see a display saying to press a key to enter setup mine is award bios and is the del key yours could be different once in again each bios is different award etc so browse the choices find the usb one enable using the keyboarb save to bios and exit reboot your done i hope this helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts