Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I am 30, strange things are happening to me and my body.

For instance, I drove to the bank today and like always I go through the drivethru window because I love the looks I get when the tellers have to squat down to see in my window.

So I lean out and hand my check in wothout problem. Then I lean out to pick up my cash. I don't know what happened, but I got a shot a pain out of my lower right back that is darn near incapacitating. I had to pull over on the side of road like 20 seconds later because I thought I was going to pass out from the pain. After 5 minutes of streching it was still there but dulled (or accustomed too) enough for me to manage to drive home. But here I sit know if my high back lombard support leather office chair in agaonizing pain. I dropped 3 aleves down the gullet a few minutes ago but they haven't taken affect yet. If I sit realllllly still I can almost take it, almost.

So my question is.....what the hell just happened and how do I prevent this from happening again in the future?

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Oh, that sounds so familar! I never had a moment of back problems until six months after I turned 30. Woke up with lower back pain that lasted a week, no idea what I did.

All you can do for the future is anything to strengthen your lower back muscles. Good advice anyway, regardless of your age.

...and to quote one of my favorite movies, "I'm thirty-seven. I'm not old!"

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
You probably pinched a nerve or something. Not happening again????? Don't move that way again.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm 34, so by "old" I'm assuming you mean older than you. :D

Back pain, eh? Haven't been moving anything heavy by yourself lately have you? Say perhaps, a Cleveland block? ;)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The joys of getting old! Sounds like you may have pinched a nerve. The MRI I had on my back shows two bulging disks. Ever since that MRI, I walk at least a mile a day if not more. Walking has prevented me from throwing my back out and when I don't walk enough, I feel it in my lower back. Walking also brought me down to 185 from 205.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Hate to say it, but sounds like a bulging disc. Go to the doctor and get some meds. 3 years ago I bent over in the garage to pick up a table saw motor and that is what happened to me. The pain dropped me to my knees and I could hardly walk. My back has never been the same.

I hope that's not it and all you did was strain a muscle. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Middle age just *smack*ed you upside the head! ::

I just hit 40 a couple weeks ago - things get worse. Almost everything will take you twice as long to do (sometimes that's good :p), and you'll hurt twice as much for twice as long when you're done! ::

It starts with your back, then ankles &/or knees. I'm currently at the "shoulder stage" - messed my right one up playing golf last year, took 6 months to recuperate, and screwed up my left one trying to compensate! ::

At this rate, I'll be in a wheelchair by 50! :: I hear that some of the new artificial joints are nice - my 55 year old boss is having his 2nd set of new hips installed right now... :(

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
As I am at the ripe old age of 34 I can tell you that you likely had a muscle spasm; an evil, incapacitating muscle spasm, but a muscle spasm. It should gradually go away in about a week.

IF you continue to have severe pain that does not seem to get any better for several days see a doctor (preferable an ortheopedic - I would not recommend a chiro - they are not medically trained) to make sure nothing is seriously wrong, but the way it came on, I'm betting you'll feel a lot better in a few days.

By the by,
At your age don't you think it's about time you gave up your dangerous toys and got yourself a nice comfotable Buick? ::

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Probably a pulled muscle... if the pain shoots to other parts of the body (like one of your legs) it could be a pinched psiatic (sp?) nerve. I had what the doctor called 'acute psoasitis' which basically meant I pulled a muscle in my lower back which inflamed and in turn pinched the nerve. Ironically, I was 19 years old at the time... good luck with it, hope it is short-lived.

Doug

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Don't hate me for this, but at 56 I'm still pain-free. Back works great, joints are all still fine. I can't run the 100 meters in 10 flat any more, but since I never could before either,it seems a small issue -
:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well lemme start with this, older crowd is not old crowd, but certainly getting a response from a 16yr old prob wouldn't help me along in my problem ;) If I had worded the question "hey midlife..." then I would have been asking the VMFOFC (Vintage mustang forum old fart club).

I get no excercise. I work for Xerox, I build and manage websites so I sit in a comfy chair and move my mouse pointer or talk on the phone all day. Occasionally I get up and walk around ;). I have not done any heavy labor recently. The closest I got to work was putting the heads in my truck to drive to the machine shop but they only weigh 60 lbs eash and I slide them in the cab which is exactly at my carry level so I neither bent down or lifted up for the heads.

Its very disconcerting that something you do all the time like leaning out the window of your monster truck at the bank can cause such instant distress. SWMBO has been asking me for the last 18 months to take walks with her, so maybe I will start a daily ritual of walking. I never thought about it because I walk to my mailbox everyday and its not exactly close ;)

·
4,128 Posts
SWMBO has been asking me for the last 18 months to take walks with her, so maybe I will start a daily ritual of walking.
Good idea, and why not take the dog with you too. fd

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Hmmm, 30. You should still be in pretty good shape.
I started racing my motorcycle offroad (Enduro, Hare Scrambles) when I was about 38. You want to talk about PAIN.
How about blood in your discharge for 3 days after a nice little getoff :p

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
I'm on that "back side of 40", in fact turning 42 next Thursday the 4th! I agree that excersize & diet (defined per Garfield as "die with a T on it") become increasingly important.

I hope what you did turns out to be nothing serious. My various joints, particularly my hips & knees, painfully remind me every time I over do it. Recovery takes twice as long as it did even 5 years ago.
~jeff

1 - 20 of 50 Posts