Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...this morning was a very interesting morning.

Get up at 5am to see SWMBO off to work. Get back up a 545. Going to take a shower, and I here what sounds like water hitting my dining room floor.

I said to myself "Self, that sure sounds like it is raining in your house" So I told myself to go check it out.

My dining room wall looked like one of the fancy water fall art pieces for soothing you. My immediate thought was I got a hole in my roof in the 45 minutes I was asleep (it was not leaking when I first got up). I run upstairs to check the bed room over the dining room. No leaks. Look out the window...Gutters clogged. I just cleaned them 1 month ago. I guess that's what I get for having 1.5" deep wood gutters.

So...it's raining pretty hard, both inside and outside of the house. SO I go to the basement to get my ladder and clean the gutters before I go to work. My sub pump in my basement decided that it didn't want to work anymore...so part of my basement was flooding, though nothing serious. Decide water running into dining room is more important so go outside with my ladder.

I go to the side of the house that is leaking water into my dining room. Go to the downspout...no water coming out. Put my ladder up all the way...3 feet too short. I guess I never thought about a longer ladder after I moved from my one story cottage...going to stop by the Home Despot on my way home. Also...it started raining even harder when I pulled the ladder out to the side of the house.

Now cursing myself for nothing having thought of this sooner, I realize that is why I didn't clean that side of the gutters last time. So I put the ladder as close as I can, and just reach over my head and start putting crap out of my gutters. I was rewarded by seeing a huge gush of water coming out the bottom of the downspout.

So I decide to check all my gutters. What the heck, I'm already soaked. Luckily I did because all my gutters were clogged. As soon as I was done...the rain lighted up...and I started Wet-vacing my basement.

Eventually, I was able to leave for work only to find that my usual road to work is flooded out with 3 feet of water. I decided not to go down the road in my Volvo when I saw a huge Dodge pick up with a lift kit get stalled 30 feet into fjording the new Taunton river...and he had another 100 feet to go. So after making sure he was okay, I decided to find an alternate route...which consiste of driving down every road I knew woudl get me to the highway and seeing it it was flooded out.

So a 50 minute drive to work became a 1.5 hour exploration.

Then my boss yells at me for being late...

But now, when I look out my window...it's beautiful outside. I really hate New England. ;)

Just thought I would maybe amuse some peole this morning..

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Rain? What's that??? ::

We set a new record in July - .10 inch of rain for the month. They said we got .25 inch so far in August, but there weren't enough drops at my house to even cover the pavement... I can't wait to see the water bill this month! ::

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I had a few days like that when I first moved in to my current house. The PO had been a not-very-good DIYer, and had installed the gutters in such a way that they tended to pool in the middle AND, when the overflowed, they overflowed towards the house. Plus the rear wall of the basement (on the downside of a hill) had cracked in two places, letting water seep in when it rained for more than a few days. This is pretty common in the Pac NW. One day I had gutters overflowing, three rooms raining as the water seeped down the attic beams, and two spots in the basement slowing filling with water. I got everything fixed eventually, but it was months before I could sleep in a rainstorm at night.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Someone either needs more lift or lessons in how to drive through deep water.

http://www.dodgestang.com/images/lake-floating-stump2.jpg

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, he made the mistake of stopping in the middle of the water...well duh...

I saw a VW golf do the same thing, in 6 inches of water...So funny because it was one of the ricers, lowered, and I assume he had a big fart car (it was under water.

Slade

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ran into the same thing earlier this year. I was at the top of a 30 foot ladder that I bought from not so Lowes. I was reaching over my head to clean the gutters and decided I would just pull the elbow and short pipe loose. Figure 1 gutter 36 feet long and 5 1/2 inches wide and deep. That is a lot of cold mucky water hitting you in the face when you are at the top of a 30 foot ladder holding on with one hand!
::

1 - 8 of 8 Posts