Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my wife was approaching an intersection on the way home tonight, a (strobe) light to her left (near side of intersection, over the turn lane) began flashing. She looked away to figure out what the light was, by the time she looked back, she hit the intersection as the light turned red for her direction.
Pennsylvania doesn't have a law allowing red light cameras, anybody have any ideas what these devices are? They look like a floodlight, with a 12 inch long cylinder, maybe 3" in diameter, extending above the floodlight. There is an aperture at the top of the tube, with a hood over the aperture.
Sorry for the O/T, but surfing the net didn't help, as these don't look like the standard variety red light cameras. E-mail off-board if you don't want to disturb the Mustang topics. I can even e-mail a picture of the "device", just haven't figured out how to post it yet.

Carl
[email protected]

P.S. - No, she didn't have a Mustang, but she did have the SVT Contour.

·
Premium Member
19,220 Posts
These are emergency vehicle sensors. When an ambulance, for example, comes along, it somehow trips this sensor into turning the light into green for the ambulance.

I've also seen these strobes on school buses, to help them keep going without stopping for lights.

I know it sounds bizarre, but that's what I've been told. I'm a sucker for high tech answers.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I had an idea for those emergency vehicles getting a green light 20 years ago. Guess I should have acted on it back then. Coulda woulda shouda, oh well.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently, Midlife wins the award. From what I've received off-line, when an emergency vehicle is detected approaching the intersection by these gizmos, all the lights except the light favorable to the emergency vehicle are (quickly) switched to red, while the strobes flash. Kinda explains why I've never seen the strobes flash yet. Also explains why SWMBO was surprised by the "quick" red in her direction. I am worried about how easily they distracted her (the strobe was definitely off her line of vision into the intersection).
I have no idea how they work, but at least we won't be receiving a summons in the mail (believe me, I already pay enough for car insurance!).

Carl

·
Registered
981 Posts
these are activated by the sirens on the emergency vehicles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts