Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys do with your nasty greasy shop towels? Is there any way to get them clean, or throw them away and convince SWMBO that I need a constant supply of new white t-shirts to wear? =)

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Hehe - get kids! They are a constant supply of shop rags. They outgrow their clothes every couple of months. Many go for hand-me-downs, but a good lot wind up in my rag bag!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Throw away the really nasty ones caked with grease or filth - and keep a roll of paper towels handy in your work area for those "first wipe of really nasty stuff" jobs.

Try to use your shop rags in descending order - grab a slightly used one when you can, a well-used one for a grotty job, and a clean one only when you really need a nice clean one.

When you have a whole bag of grimy ones, go to a laundromat with them. Don't use your home washer unless you have a full load of semi-grotty work clothes to run through afterwards and remove the gunk.

And never wash anything you care about in a laundromat. ::

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Well when we bought a new washing machine, there was really nothing wrong with our old one, it just was a cheapie that came with the house so it didn't have any settings other than "off" and "destroy all clothing placed inside." I shoved it over to the side, bought some Y fittings for the water and drain hose and now I have my very own shop rag washing machine! ::

·
Registered
317 Posts
Washing them at home depends on whether or not you have a septic system or you are on a city sanitary sewer. I throw my greasy towels away as I don't want the grease in my septic. If I need more I go to the Goodwill and buy some used bed sheets for pennies and cut them up. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts