Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoever (or is it whomever?) said the happiest days in the life of a boater are the day you buy it and the day you sell it clearly didn't have a clue or never really owned a boat. Today I sold my sailboat and it certainly isn't a happy day. It was my decision and it probably is the right one, but this will take some time to get use to. "Elixir" is a C&C 34 that I owned for over 15 years and spent countless hours sailing in Long Island Sound. However, over the last few years SWMBO and I just didn't seem to find the time to go sailing and considering all the costs of owning a boat, summer and winter marinas, insurance, materials (bottom paint alone is over $150/gal.) it just doesn't seem worth the expense anymore. There is a lot of truth in the old adage that BOAT really stands for Break Out Another Thousand and believe it or not, owning the Mustang is inexpensive by comparison.

Now I'm sure there are some out there that are thinking sailboat = slow and boring. We all like power and to go fast, but for those of you who haven't sailed, you are missing an experience of a lifetime. There are very few things that we do that rival cruising along about 7 knots in a 20 knot warm summer breeze with about a 25 degree heel on a sailboat. Now I know 7 knots isn't fast in today's world, but it really feels like you are flying along and all that you hear is the water lapping on the hull, some great tunes on the CD player and all this time you are sipping of your favorite libation. There is something magical about going along using only the wind as your sole source of propulsion. The sunsets/sunrises are spectacular and the people you meet are as great as the folks here on VMF. It is one of the most fulfilling and relaxing activities you can imagine.

Well, enough of my whining. I have several friends with boats, one of which has given me an open invite to take his whenever he is not using it. Oddly enough, his boat happens to also be a C&C 34 and is even the same year as mine, so I know her well. It's not the same as sailing my baby, but it ain't bad and on the bright side, I now have some additional cash burning a hole in my pocket and we all know where some of that is going.

Well friends, thanks for letting me cry in my beer and if you are ever afforded the opportunity to take a sail, jump on it. You may not cover a lot of nautical miles, but if you let it, you'll travel million miles it your mind.

Lou

·
Registered
277 Posts
I know what you are missing. I just spent time on a 43 footer in the Gulf Islands in the Pacifac Northwest. Comes near matching the experience of cruising in my Shelby but on a somewhat different exhaust note.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I raced with a guy that had a C&C 34. What a jewel that was.
You're right. "Racing" and 7-11 knots don't sound like much. But when you're hung "out there" It's pretty exciting.

For you non boaters, 67fstbk's ex boat is a performance oriented Lexus/BMW-M/Mercedes in Carspeak.

A million miles away 2 miles out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Know the feeling well. Is it possible to buy half of your friends boat? Might be a win-win situation for the both of you. I know partnerships can be scary. My dad has been partners a few times on sailboats and it has worked out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts