Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I are performing an engine swap in a 1980 Mercury Capri. He bought a 302 with a broken rocker stud. While attempting to remove the stud, we cracked the head. :( Anyhow, we decided that it would be best to remove the head, and replace it. I told him that we would want to find a set of heads with hardened valve seats, so that he can burn the unleaded fuel, with minimal effects on the valvetrain. Prior to removing the head, we decided to see if the guy that sold the engine did any more damage. We removed the opposite valve cover, and found that the guy pulled one of the other push-rods, for some unforseen reason, so we pulled the intake and found that the two lifters (where the rocker arm stud had broken, as well as where he had pulled the push-rod) had blown up, and parts of them were missing, telling us that they were somewhere in the engine. We still have to pull the cam, but the story goes on. We figured that it wouldn't hurt to check the rest of the engine out, so we pulled the oil pan off to inspect the bearings. To our dismay, we found a cigarette. Not just the butt, but a half-smoked cigarette! What kind of engine builder leaves a cigarette butt in the oil pan?!? Anyhow, the bearings all still looked good, but since we are this far into it, we may as well just re-ring it and replace the bearings. I need to mic the cylinders and the crank, and pull the pistons, still, to check for scoring, to see if it needs bored out, but all that will be done by this afternoon. He was really impressed that the engine came apart so quickly, but will probably be disappointed in how long it may take to get it back together. He will be happy to know, though, that I will make sure it is done properly, he will have an engine that will last some time, and that I will NOT leave any cigarette butts in the engine, as I prefer to do a clean assembly!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
If I found some of the things you found - not to mention a cigarette butt - I would go through the whole engine.
I would want to find surprises now rather than later.

·
Registered
466 Posts
i know the capri is a mustang pretty much with a few exceptions, is there a site to go to to see what is needed for the engine swap and stuff? my g/f has a 79 capri and if for some reason she wants to sell it soon i might pick it up and put a 5.0 or 351 or something in it for a drag car or if she keep it some day might do something like that for her to race or something....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't looked for any web-sites related to converting to a 5.0, but I am sure there are a few out there. I will keep you informed as to what I find, if you are interested. I know there are companies that offer kits specifically for the fox body cars. I think that, although it is a fox-body, it will be fun when completed. Also, back to the original message; I guess that adds new meaning to "smoker?"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts