Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted on another forum that it was possible to remove the negative cable from your vehicle while it was running and that it should self sustain itself and asked if the same was true for motorcycles and the response I got was that it wasnt possible unless I had a deisel engine because of no spark plug...?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I'm trying to answer your question, but I'm not sure what it is? Do motorcycles have diesel engines?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the motorcycle isn't deisel....what I am trying to find out is wether or not a motorcycle is self sufficient as a car is or at least as I think a car is and the answer I got was that unless a car is deisel than its not

I just figured with as many people on here that dabble into more than just mustangs if my answer could be had.

·
Premium Member
19,198 Posts
I don't know squat about a motorcycle, but I do know this:
If the motorcycle has an alternator or generator, then it will run after starting without a battery.

Removal of the negative (or positive) terminal of the battery is not recommended while a vehicle is running, as a small spark occurs while removal (actually re-initialization of the contacts) which can ignite hydrogen gas which is generated by the charging of the battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts