Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I know... not Mustang related but I figured with all the mechanical knowledge (of which I have VERY little) floating around this forum, you all were my logical choice to turn to and so, here's the situation:
a friend of mine is giving me an '87 Plymouth 2.2 FI Reliant (K car) that only has about 70'000 miles, for free. He's got 3 other cars and so wants to get rid of this one. The only catch is, the car cranks but doesn't start. We replaced the starter relay but still no luck. I'm going to put in a new ignition coil and new wires to see if maybe that is the problem.
I figure if the problem is simple (think cheap) I'll be getting an everyday car that I won't have to really worry about if it ever breaks down. after all, it's free. Anyway,maybe someone has experienced the same before.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
J.P.

·
Administrator
19,320 Posts
It would an amazing coincidence if this works out, but....
Years ago a lady gave me an 85 Aries to get it out of her driveway. Everything electrical seemed to work but the car wouldn't actually run. I managed to hotwire the coil to get it home. Once home I found that there was a fusible link that had melted. Replaced it and had a good car (well, drivable car anyway). IIRC the link was buried in an obnoxious location on the driver's side of the engine compartment. We drove the car about a month and traded it off to get a Torino.
A repair manual would be helpful. I hope you have as good luck getting your freebie going!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Somehow I end up as the guy who gets the free cars around here too.
Rule #1 Discover what is wrong before you buy anything!!!!!
Rule #2 Check the cheap stuff first!!
Rule #3 Check under the seats for treasure!!
You said it cranks so you replaced the starter solenoid???? Why?
Is it getting spark? Is it getting gas?
Be smart it pays better. I once got a 65 V8 coupe for 50.00 because it had a "broke crank"
Real culprit....sheared pin in the distributor. While I was negotiating my brother fixed it and
we drove it home!!!! That was mean of us, but I still grin!
Bruce (TX)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great rules, thanks.
We replaced the starter RELAY, because that's what someone mentioned could be wrong. As far as I know, it is getting gas, but about a spark... i don't know, that's why I'm planning to try out a different coil, the ballast resistor as someone else mentined... from cheapest and simplest to hardest and more expensive.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, great suggestion. These are precisely the kinds of ideas I needed to hear. Learn faster that way.
thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts