Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had oppertiuntiy to go to Giantsx Braves game last night and oh what a game, allmost as good as night before game.

There is a certain Braves fan tha I have bet on that started last year when Giants eliminated Braves from playoffs. I just may lose that bet as was on total number of games won by each team this year and Iam behind more than I like, oh well proceds of bet goes to VMF so not all bad.

I've been a big time baseball fan since my youth and always a Giants fan win or lose no wine drinking cell phone fan here.

Needless to say I liked the old days better and players as well, back when it wasn't all about the money. Still when you get what I consider the two best teams in the game playing and they play as well as this seris has been its a thing of beauty IMO.

Of course one of things that also made it special it was first game I was able to take my son (Edward) too. Now that hes gotten through his heart surgery with flying colors there are so many things he can do now that before would of been too difficult.

I have been really concerned about the Giants having so many players out on DL of for the season, Robb Nen one of best closers in game, JT snow starting 1st baseman, Ray Durham starting 2nd basemen and number of starting pitchers on DL as well including Fofert who went out in last nights game, just what we needed.

Fournatualy for me they have Huge lead in Divison and should be fine even though just went throught bad road trip but to watch these two teams play last night in a close game coming down to ninth inning was just a thing of beauty. Never being a braves fan but always giving them respect which they do deserve even if they had won I would still come away feeling I saw a great Game.

I know many of you are not into baseball but those who are know exactly what Iam talking about. Games like that bring back memeories of teams of old and special players back when it was a game.

Mark

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Mark,

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've been a Cardinals fan since I can remember and even though the season hasn't been the best, we're still in the hunt for the playoffs!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Hey I hope the Giants win this year. I always been a big fan of Barry Bonds. I enjoy watching him a the plate and to see how a power hitter can be so patient and he knows how to pick which pithces to hit. Everytime they come to LA, I try to see them play. I don't consider myself a Giants fan but to get to see one of the greatest players ever to play baseball in real life. Is just an awesome feeling for me. BTW I am a die hard Angels fan

David

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Mark, glad to hear that Edward can attend. There is nothing like watching your childs eyes get as wide as saucers when they see someone in person at the ballpark rather than on TV.

Braves and Giants......nah....I've got to stick with our Mariners...sorry. ::

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,495 Posts
Mark:

If you really want to see some old time baseball played for the love of the game, come see the San Jose Giants play at Municipal Stadium. It's the closest thing to "Bull Durham" type baseball that I've found around here. As a bonus there's the "Beer Batter" and the great BBQ along the 3rd base line, not to mention the fireworks show after the games July 3rd and 4th. Very home town and there's not a bad seat in the place.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff I used to go to see some games in San Jose and it was great but nowadays with the traffic situation between my place in Sonoma and the wonderful San Jose area I would need to stay overnight would spend most of my time in traffic in the car. When the Crushers were up here I attending some games there really close.

I tell you taking the Ferry to the game is a Kwel way to go

Mark

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I got hooked on the game as a kid, when the only "real" teams were the Yankees and the Dodgers (Brooklyn Dodgers in those days). After moving to AZ, I hardly gave the Diamondbacks a second thought until they came on so strong a couple of years ago, and wound up winning the World Series. They started out so miserable this year, then all the old players got injured and they got the "babybacks" from the minors to fill in. Those guys really showed the older guys why their big salaries are in jeopardy!

The D'backs are so inconsistent. Unbeatable one week and incapable of getting a runner on base the next. They have a pitching staff that is second to none, just don't have batters. One guy that you will want to keep an eye on that came up from the minors is Alex Cintron. Superb defensive player (second base) and as near to consistent at the plate as you'll find. Not a big home run hitter, but has an excellent eye and knows how to get those base hits. Keep your eye on him, this guy has a future in MLB! Yes, it's a great game......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts