Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/rant on Why is it that *every* time a new sub comes out to do something on my house addition that they feel the need to cut the frickin' cable? I mean I have that puppy laying on the ground in an obvious fashion with plenty of "You can move me out of the way" slack, and the ba$tards still manage to mangle a huge chunk of it. Next new sub, I swear, I'm going to run out there with an axe over my head and cut the frickin' thing myself! That way I will have their undivided attention, *and* I'll know where the break is. I mean, in the operating instructions for the Bobcat does it say "Remove brain and place securely in glovebox of pickup for safe keeping. Then, let 'er rip!" or is that just tradition? #$^$^*&%#@[email protected]#[email protected]#%&^#%@#%&*()^%&*^&(*!!! /rant off

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Paint that sucker a day-glow orange ! :p

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
/ I mean I have that puppy laying on the ground in an obvious fashion with plenty of "You can move me out of the way" slack, and the ba$tards still manage to mangle a huge chunk of it.
Oh so now we are bastards with no brains
Are you paying them extra not to hit the cable?
Do you buy them coffee and donuts before you head to work
Are you riding there @ss about everything
Do you ever say hey nice work when a phase is completed or are you one of those guys who think we are to low on the scale to hold a good conversation or maybe you think all contruction workers have a 5th grade education
Why would it be running through the job site anyway.
I think it's your fault for leaving it out there unmarked and on the ground.
could your cable be consider a trip hazzard
Osha
1926.25(a)

During the course of construction, alteration, or repairs, form and scrap lumber with protruding nails, and all other debris, shall be kept cleared from work areas, passageways, and stairs, in and around buildings or other structures.

1926.25(b)

Combustible scrap and debris shall be removed at regular intervals during the course of construction. Safe means shall be provided to facilitate such removal.

1926.25(c)

Containers shall be provided for the collection and separation of waste, trash, oily and used rags, and other refuse. Containers used for garbage and other oily, flammable, or hazardous wastes, such as caustics, acids, harmful dusts, etc. shall be equipped with covers. Garbage and other waste shall be disposed of at frequent and regular intervals.

Do your part to as a homeowner
chris

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
[/rant] why is it every time I quote on a project the friggin Engineer cannot get the simplest of drawings right. I mean simple details & specs that should make sense are just insane and then they are totally unreasonable during the project. [/rant off] :: ::

Maybe the home owner should move the cable to a safe location for the duration of the project to allow for proper access to the site, which would have been assumed at the time of tender / quote submission. Or is this an unforseen that would be worth an extra? :: :p ;) ;) :: :: ::

Sorry..... just had to throw in a perspective from the other side of the fence.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
[quotein the operating instructions for the Bobcat does it say "Remove brain and place securely in glovebox of pickup for safe keeping. Then, let 'er rip!" or is that just tradition? #$^$^*&%#@[email protected]#[email protected]#%&^#%@#%&*()^%&*^&(*!!! /rant off [/quote]

i thought that was for engineer's

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
22,006 Posts
When we first moved in we had problems that just amazed me.
Note that our cable TV providers and telephone service comes from the same local-yokel company.
The water line guys came first. Buried and marked the line. They somehow forgot to connect it to the water tap. The meter guy came and turned on our water. It was most amusing to see him showered with mud and water. Not only did the installers forget to connect the line, they terminated it a foot short of the tap. They were unable to think of a way to blame this on us, so they installed a shabby extension to the meter. Which of course sprung a leak 2 years later and I had to fix it myself as beyond the meter "was not their responsibility".
Next came the cable guy. Used a blade thing to knife through our yard. It worked but I'm still trying to get the trail he made level with the rest of the yard. He marked the run every 10 feet with little flags that said "Yokel Telephone Co."
Then came the phone guys. They somehow missed the water line but cut right through their own cable. When confronted, the installers claimed "Our company doesn't use those flags". Astounded, I said "Well, do you think I ran out and had some custom made up with your company's name on them?" After some mumbling and grumbling, they found the break and repaired it. (A year later moisture got into the splice and they had to come out and redo it). I soon noticed our second phone line didn't work. The guy came out and declared it must be a problem inside the house. If I wanted to pay extra he would look at it. Since I had run the inside lines myself, I declined. After he left I went and opened the outside service box. A wire hanging there almost poked me in the eye. After 15 seconds with a screwdriver, phone line #2 was operational. I swear this is true stuff.
Lastly come the power company. Despite the cable being marked with it's "Yokel" flags and long stripes of fluorescent green paint, they cut the cable. Ignoring the copious fluorescent orange stripes marking the phone line's location, they went ahead and cut that too.
Don't even get me started on my last 30 days of going rounds with various HVAC repair people who all evidenced every bit as much intelligence as the utility people did.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well let me just say that it is no better out here in California.

I have seen 2" gas mains drilled thru even after being marked by the gas company :p, fire hydrants blatently run over, telephone poles sheared off or knocked down, saw 5 homes under construction burn down ( ::BEFORE FIRE DEPT WAS CALLED ::).

Welcome to the world of pre-madona, crying, whining, cant do anything for themselves construction workers.

There are alot of good, smart, hardworking individuals in this trade ( :)and you know who you are!! :)) but for the most part....well you can come to your own conclusions.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We keep a clean site despite the efforts of the subs whom I have personally witnessed throwing their trash on the ground standing right next to the BIG YELLOW DUMPSTER. We have also provided a port-o-potty for their convenience. (We insisted, the builder balked) We have also thanked many of the subs for their great work. I have routed the wire every way to sunday trying to get it out of the way as it is on the construction side. I even strung it through the air so they could not run over it only to find it back on the ground and cut in half. A black wire on light red clay is pretty freakin' obvious. The fact that only the last 12 feet is exposed now from the woods to the house makes it seem on purpose. I've tried flags, I have pointed it out, no avail. Do I ride their ass? Only when I see them doing incredibly stupid things. I am paying them for a job done correctly and that is what I expect. *They're* supposed to be the professionals. Take pride in your work. Have some ethics. It doesn't matter if you are being a keyboard jock or scrubbing toilets (and I've done both), you should do your personal best. I have in all of the crappy jobs I have had over the years. Fight back, you don't have to act like a moron and do a crappy job because you feel life has somehow cheated you.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
well ed i am a union bricklayer and i work at eli lillys has part of the alliance and i take great pride in my work because i have been trained to do a perfect job and i get paid well to do a perfect job. and i am given the time to do a perfect job. i do give you kudo's for the clean job site and portapotty next time when you post about subs please refer to them as your subs. as far has the wire if you did all that then yes there ass needs chewed!
chris

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have routed the wire every way to sunday trying to get it out of the way as it is on the construction side. I even strung it through the air so they could not run over it only to find it back on the ground and cut in half. A black wire on light red clay is pretty freakin' obvious. The fact that only the last 12 feet is exposed now from the woods to the house makes it seem on purpose.
All other issues aside, maybe you could protect the cable better for 12 feet. Even some heavy conduit buried a foot or more down wouldn't be more than a day's work, and it would eliminate both contractor problems and everyday "whoops, I didn't know that board was so long" and "whoops, I thought I could walk the mower over that" problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts