Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was supposed to fly out today to West Palm Beach, but I noticed I had a 35 minute layover in Atlanta, which is waaay too short for ASA: America's Sorriest Airline, which flies from Panama City to Atlanta. They are usually 45 minutes late. There were no other connections availabe, so I got a rental car and drove: 520 miles, averaging 71+ mph.

This is the second Grand Am I've rented over the years, and find it very confortable: seats, steering, controls right at the hands. It cruises very nicely at speeds up to 90 mph, but the steering is a bit twitchy at freeway speeds. Visibility is good, but the rear spoiler always caused me to believe there was a car right at the rear quarter! I hate spoilers!

This was a V6 engine, so it had a lot of ooomph to it. I must admit I enjoyed driving it.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
those are pretty peppy cars, and not all too horrible looking either. i know a girl who has a nice white GT with rims and tinted windows, its not bad looking... she thought it was pretty dang fast and one day decided to race me... she didnt think it was very fast any more lol . but, they are good for what they are, although, new, i think they are a bit pricey..then again , new cars are

·
Registered
529 Posts
Two of my sisters have 2002 Grand Prix which are the same (pretty much) as the Grand Am. I drove one of them and liked it. My only complaint was the seating. A bit confining for me.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I drive a 97 as my daily driver. It is a GT with a V6. I love it. Gets me where I need to be in comfort. I rented a new one last year and the wing is much larger on the newer cars. The wing on mine is much smaller and doesn't interfer with your driving.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
My wife had a 97 Grand Am GT and now has a 03 Grand Am GT/SCT.
I like the styling of the cars and the engines are pretty nice for what they are.
Nice pickup. Although the new one is faster it gets a lot worse gas milage.
One problem the older ones were know for though is the head/intake gaskets. They can go anywhere from 40k on up.
They finally fixed the problem in 02 and it can be fixed on earlier years but of course most are out of warranty by then.
Overall a good daily driver.

·
Registered
846 Posts
My wife had a company car that was a 2000 model. I'm not much on GM although my mom builds Saturns. This car was junk from the git go. Alot of electrical problems and brake problems. Engine ran fine though. Well she turned it in after 75,000 miles and they gave her a 2003 impala. Easy on gas, but she hates the fact that when the lights are on and you get out of the car, there is no ding, ding, ding, letting her know the lights are on. I can see several battery jumping coming in the future. :(........ ::

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
>but the steering is a bit twitchy at freeway speeds.<

...at freeway speeds yes, Try some directional input at "low gear/full throttle" from a stop, very touchy. SWMBO liked it during the test drive but is no longer happy with it. Plagued with problems that GM can't seem to fix. ::

IMO the Grand Prix is twice the car with twice the power.

Midlife, I just can't see you in a Grand Am.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Good grief! Sounds like there are about as many Grand Ams on the forum as there are Mustangs. :)

My neighbor has a 2000 Grand Am, 4 cyl. It's a great little car for urban driving, and gets fantastic mileage. He's never done anything to it except change the oil.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Grand AM! GRAND AM! I don't see anything GRAND about it!

What's next a Rascel Scooter? :p

Now, a GRAND National... now you're talking ::

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I Think that we need to throw midlife into one of those crooked homes that the nurses beat you up and steal your movie.

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Had a 95 GT 4 door, ran a 15.9 in the quarter stock, drove it to 118,000 miles with NO problems. Traded it for a 1999 GT 4 door with the ram air V6. Went 125 MPH before backing down...I chickened out until I got new tires on it. Had alot more in it to go too! I love the Grand Ams for family cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts